Suspect Arrested in Elk Grove Pedestrian Fatality

Home » Suspect Arrested in Elk Grove Pedestrian Fatality
April 08, 2022
Edward Smith

Pedestrian Fatality Occurs When Vehicle Jumps Curb

A pedestrian fatality occurred in Elk Grove on April 4 when a woman was struck by a motor vehicle on the sidewalk close to Rose Park. The accident happened near the intersection of Fyre Creek Drive and Deepdale Way at about 2:45 p.m. when a vehicle exited the road, according to the Elk Grove Police Department. The identity of the woman who was killed, 67-year-old Asefa Husaini, was recently released by the County Coroner’s Office.

Young Man Arrested After Pedestrian Fatality Accident

The police department said that after the driver struck the woman, he continued on through the park and left the area. However, the 20-year-old driver and vehicle were located, and he was placed under arrest. The suspect faces charges of a hit and run causing a fatality and vehicular manslaughter and was booked at the Sacramento County Main Jail. The following morning, the driver got out on bail. An investigation into the case is ongoing by Elk Grove police to determine exactly what happened.

Wrongful Death Claims After the Death of a Family Member

A personal injury lawyer can file wrongful death claims for families when pedestrian fatalities were due to negligence. By filing, the negligent party can be held liable for causing the accident fatality. The compassionate wrongful death lawyers at our firm have handled a number of cases successfully and are skilled at obtaining the compensation a grieving family deserves.

Compensation for Pedestrian Deaths

In cases of wrongful death caused by driver negligence, immediate family members may be able to sue. The administrator of the decedent’s estate may file also. However, only one lawsuit may be pursued. The following may be recovered: 

  • The burial and funeral costs can be recovered.
  • The decedent’s wages and any other benefits earned by them are recoverable, including pension and insurance, tips, bonuses, and the like.
  • The surviving spouse may claim a loss of consortium, moral support and affection the decedent provided.
  • Beneficiaries named in the will may be eligible to receive what they would have gotten if the decedent had lived.
  • If the decedent had lived, it is possible to recover damages for the guidance, training and nurturing the children would have received if he or she had lived.
  • Stepchildren may be entitled to damages if at least 50 percent of financial support was provided by the decedent.
  • If one or more of the decedent’s children are deceased themselves, their children may join the claim.
  • There may be compensation for the loss of household services such as vehicle and lawn maintenance, child care, tax preparation and more that the loved one provided.
  • The estate or family may file a survival action if the decedent did not die immediately or was hospitalized before they died. The proceeding replaces the personal injury suit that the decedent would have filed if they were still alive. A survival action includes any medical bills associated with the accident as well as pain and suffering before the death occurred.
  • If a loved one died due to egregious behavior or an intentional act, his or her family may be entitled to seek punitive damages. Since punitive damages are rarely awarded in California, asking your lawyer if it is possible to request this award may be helpful.

Traffic Accidents That Result in Pedestrian Deaths

The injury lawyers at have helped grieving families recover compensation for many years. Our staff and legal team are familiar with the trauma caused by pedestrian accidents and the grief that falls on families when a loved one dies. During these challenging times, we try our best to make helping our clients as easy as possible for them. Our tenacity and investigation skills allow us to successfully resolve our clients’ cases while safeguarding their rights.

Wrongful Death Lawyer in Elk Grove 

I’m Ed Smith, an wrongful death lawyer in Elk Grove. To find out whether your family can file a wrongful death claim, call us for our compassionate, free and friendly advice at (916) 694-0002 or (800) 404-5400. If you prefer, we can be contacted online.

Find out how our injury lawyers have helped others below:

We are members of Million Dollar Advocates and the Top 1 Percent.

Photo attribution: Image by Myriams-Fotos from Pixabay 

:cd llo [728]