Solo Vehicle Crash Fatally Injures Stockton Man
I’m Ed Smith, a Stockton, personal injury attorney. A man suffered fatal injuries in a solo vehicle crash along Interstate 5 in the vicinity of Eight Mile Road in southwest Lodi during the midnight hour of Friday, April 20, 2018. The California Highway Patrol (CHP) indicated that the man was behind the wheel of his 2001 Toyota traveling southbound along Interstate 5 when, for unknown reasons, the vehicle drifted off the roadway and continued a short distance and into the median. The man attempted to correct his car by turning back toward the road but reportedly crossed all lanes of travel, collided with a guardrail post and overturned down an embankment at approximately 12:40 am. Authorities found the Toyota on its roof located near the southbound Eight Mile Road exit. The man was identified by the San Joaquin County Coroner’s Office as 24-year-old Marcus Yoshii of Stockton, a native of Hawaii and 2015 graduate of the University of the Pacific.
My heartfelt sympathies go out to the loved ones mourning the loss of Mr. Yoshii.
Rollover Accidents and Roof Crush Injuries
Rollover accidents can be deadly. These accidents cause serious injuries and death due to a vehicle’s roof collapsing inward during the rollover. In some cases, inadequate roof strength may be considered a manufacturing defect which can lead to traumatic consequences. Following are some of the types of roof crush injuries:
- A piercing blow to the head or brain can cause a traumatic brain injury, which can impair an individual’s memory, emotions, concentration, speech, and vision;
- Airbags are intended to deploy to minimize impacts to the chest cavity, however, a chest trauma may occur if they fail to deploy;
- Bone fractures often result from significant impacts to the body and require extensive rehabilitation to heal;
- Bruises, cuts, and scrapes can be painful;
- Cervical sprain, or also known as “whiplash”, can happen when an impact causes an individual’s head to fly forward and snap back against the car’s headrest;
- Herniated or slipped discs and bruises to the spinal column are common in these accidents due to the force of impact to the back;
- Significant blood loss due to internal organ trauma may further lead to wrongful death.
Rollover Accidents and Wrongful Death
Automakers are obligated to design and manufacturer vehicles with roofs strong enough to remain intact during a traffic collision, particularly rollover accidents. If a vehicle roof fails to provide reasonable occupant protection in the event of a rollover accident, the manufacturer may be held liable for resulting damages in a wrongful death lawsuit. If you have lost someone you love in an accident involving a crushed vehicle roof, it is vital to contact an experienced wrongful death lawyer in Stockton. An attorney with years of experience can look at the details of your case, assist you with your questions and retrieve fair compensation for your loved one’s death.
Stockton Personal Injury Attorney
I’m Ed Smith, a Stockton personal injury attorney. When people suffer traumatic injuries as a result of another party’s negligence or due to a defect in manufacturing of a car, they need the assistance an injury attorney can provide. If this has happened to you or a family member, please contact me at (209) 227-1931 or free of toll at (800) 404-5400 for free, friendly advice.
My client comments may be read on:
I am a member of the Million Dollar Advocates, a forum which recognizes trial attorneys with million dollar client settlements and verdicts.
To learn how I resolved other cases, please visit my Verdicts and Settlements page.
Photo Source: By “Brandon Nickerson” via Pexels
:ds [cs 606] cv