Accident on Highway 99 Happens After Off-Road Crash
A fatal accident just south of Yuba City took the life of a man who was trying to flag down vehicles that were passing on a rural road. The accident occurred along Highway 99 close to Hutchinson Road around 5:20 a.m. after the driver’s car went off the highway and ended up in a ditch on the east side of the roadway. The deceased man was identified as a resident of Oroville, age 31.
Driver Hit by Two Vehicles in Fatal Accident While Trying to Flag Down a Car
Witnesses to the fatal accident said the driver was seen in the road as he tried to flag down vehicles about five minutes after his crash occurred. He was hit in the southbound lanes by one vehicle going in that direction, according to the California Highway Patrol (CHP), was then thrown into the northbound lanes and struck again by a second car. He died at the accident scene. The CHP is investigating the accident to determine exactly what occurred.
Is There a Time Limit to File a Wrongful Death Lawsuit?
California law stipulates that families of decedents must file wrongful death claims within two years of the death of the loved one in a fatal accident. It is not possible to file a claim after this period has expired. By hiring an experienced wrongful death lawyer, you can be sure that all documents are filed according to the law in a timely manner.
A Wrongful Death Compensation Claim
There are different types of damages that can be recovered from wrongful death claims depending on factors such as the age and income of the deceased. A typical list of damages is as follows:
- Fees for the funeral service and burial or cremation are recoverable.
- It is possible to recover the decedent’s income as well as their insurance and pension benefits up until they would have reached retirement age.
- Love, support and companionship lost by a spouse due to the death can be recovered.
- Loss of parental guidance and nurturing for the children in the family that was provided by the decedent can be compensated.
- Loss of inheritance is recoverable in some cases, which is what the beneficiaries in the will would have received if the decedent had survived.
- Loss of household services is recoverable, which includes areas where the decedent worked around the home such as taking care of the lawn, childcare and other duties.
The family of a person who died in a fatal accident after living for some time may decide to bring a survival action. In contrast to wrongful death cases, survival actions are filed on behalf of the decedent and would have replaced the personal injury claim the deceased could have filed if they had survived. Survival actions also compensate for medical expenses in a fatal accident if the decedent lived for a while before expiring.
Yuba City Wrongful Death Lawyer
I am Ed Smith, a Yuba City wrongful death lawyer. When your family has lost a loved one because of an accident involving another’s negligence, you may be able to place a wrongful death claim. Contact us for free and friendly advice at (530) 392-9400 or (800) 404-5400. A free consultation can be set up for you with one of our accident attorneys to review the case and inform you of options to recover compensation. You can also message us online.
We are pleased to be members of the following:
Look over client reviews and a few of the cases our injury lawyers have handled below:
:cd  jw