Accident on Florin Road Allegedly Involved Red-Light Runner
A two-vehicle accident in Rancho Cordova on December 4 killed one person. The accident happened at the intersection of Florin Road and South Watt Avenue during the evening hours when the driver of a Ford going west reportedly ran a red light and T-boned a Toyota. The Elk Grove driver in the Ford, age 38, experienced a rollover accident, landing on the vehicle’s roof, according to the California Highway Patrol (CHP).
Passenger Killed in Two-Vehicle Accident
A passenger riding in the Ford was ejected during the two-vehicle accident and landed in a ditch along the roadside. Although medics transported the injured passenger to a hospital, he died there from the trauma he suffered in the accident. The name of the deceased has not yet been released by the Sacramento County Coroner’s Office.
Fatal Accident Under Investigation
A Sacramento woman, age 56, was driving the Toyota and uninjured in the crash and going north along South Watt Avenue at the time her vehicle was broadsided. She suffered no injuries in the collision. Neither alcohol nor drugs are suspected as factors in the two-vehicle accident, and no arrests were made. The incident is being investigated by the CHP.
Filing a Wrongful Death Claim
If a two-vehicle accident fatality was caused by negligence, the estate or immediate family of the deceased may be able to file a wrongful death claim to recover damages. This also includes if the deceased was a passenger in the vehicle driven by someone who was negligent and caused their death. Providing closure and a sense of justice won’t ease the family’s grief, but it may help them avoid the financial strain that can come with the sudden loss of a loved one.
In the Case of a Wrongful Death, What Damages Can Be Recovered?
Depending on the circumstances, families may be able to recover compensation for the following:
- Expenses for funeral and burial are often costly, and these can be recovered by filing a wrongful death claim.
- In addition to pensions and insurance benefits, bonuses and other areas where the deceased was compensated at work, the decedent’s wages up to retirement age can all be recovered. Using 1099s and tax returns, the income the decedent would have earned until retirement can also be recovered as compensation if they were self-employed.
- A surviving spouse may be entitled to claim loss of consortium, emotional support and love due to the death.
- It is possible to claim that the family’s children have lost the nurturing and parental care they deserve.
- In the will of the decedent, beneficiaries can claim lost inheritance prospects.
- The loss of household help such as tax preparation, vehicle maintenance and other chores can be recovered. This is possible because the family may now have to pay outside help to do the chores the deceased loved one performed.
Contacting a Wrongful Death Lawyer
By taking advantage of a free consultation with a wrongful death lawyer, your family can find out whether they could file a wrongful death claim against the negligent party and find out what damages they may recover. Wrongful death lawyers do not charge anything upfront. They charge nothing unless they win the case.
Rancho Cordova Personal Injury Lawyer
I am Ed Smith, a Rancho Cordova personal injury lawyer. A wrongful death claim may be available if someone’s negligence killed your loved one. Our injury lawyers can be reached at (916) 921-6400 or by long-distance at (800) 404-5400 for compassionate, free and friendly advice. You can also reach us online.
Our injury lawyers have helped others in the following ways:
The following groups are a privilege for us to belong to:
:cd llo