Single Vehicle Traffic Accident Causes Passenger’s Death
A single vehicle traffic accident resulted in the death of a passenger while the driver fled the scene. The South Sacramento accident occurred on April 20 when an Acura SUV collided with a power pole at the corner of Mendocino Boulevard and Fruitridge Road. The California Highway Patrol (CHP) reported that the crash occurred shortly before 10:00 at night. I would like to offer my sympathy to the friends and family of the deceased in their time of grief and loss.
Details of Single Vehicle Traffic Accident
According to witnesses who saw the accident happen, the individual driving the SUV left the scene of the single vehicle traffic accident before the emergency responders arrived. Investigators with the CHP in South Sacramento think that drunk driving may have contributed to the crash. The passenger in the vehicle died at the scene when the accident occurred and was declared dead by emergency responders. The identity of that person has not yet been released. The accident will be under investigation by the CHP. When the driver of the vehicle is located, he or she may be facing felony charges of hit and run.
When any driver is out on the road, he or she is responsible for the safety of any passengers. Unfortunately, some drivers are negligent. This can result in a multiple or single vehicle traffic accident, causing serious injuries or fatalities. Some of the most common ways in which a motorist is negligent include:
- Drunk driving is a major cause of traffic collisions. Because a drunk driver exhibits poor judgment, problems with coordination and reflexes, it can lead to a single vehicle traffic accident.
- Distracted driving is another major reason that traffic accidents happen. Texting or talking on a cellphone while driving interferes with the driver’s ability to concentrate on the road. Even though it is still legal in California to use a cellphone if it is hands off, that is also a dangerous practice.
- Fatigued driving leads to single vehicle traffic accidents. This is because the driver may fall asleep behind the wheel or have poor concentration.
- Drugged driving is becoming more of a problem in California. Marijuana use is a major cause of drugged driving. However, some prescription or over-the-counter drugs can also impair a driver.
Wrongful Death in a Car Accident
A negligent motorist who causes the death of a passenger in the vehicle can be held financially responsible by the family. An experienced injury lawyer can explain who is able to place a wrongful death claim. The attorney can also explain what economic and noneconomic damages may be sought. If the wrongful death involved an egregious act such as drunk driving and leaving the scene, punitive damages may be sought in some cases. Some of the areas where damages are awarded include:
- Funeral and burial costs
- Loss of income
- Loss of inheritance
- Loss of consortium
- Parental guidance and training
- Loss of affection, moral support and comfort
Sacramento Car Accident Lawyer
I’m Ed Smith, a Sacramento car accident lawyer. It is always heartbreaking to lose a loved one, but that is compounded when the accident was caused by negligence. If you lost a loved one in this way, the family may be able to place a wrongful death claim to recover damages. Although this will not ease the grief, it can help the family deal with the financial losses. Call me at (916) 921-6400 for my free and friendly advice. If you are calling from somewhere else, my toll-free number is (800) 404-5400. You can also contact me online.
I’m honored to be a member of the National Association of Distinguished Counsel. It is composed only of lawyers that uphold the highest of legal standards. Million Dollar Forum is another group I belong to. It is open only to lawyers who’ve obtained in excess of $1 million for a client.
I have upheld Sacramento residents’ rights to compensation after an accident injury since 1982. Some areas I represent include all types of car accidents, cases of wrongful death and traumas such as brain injuries.
To find out more about my law practice, please visit the following sites:
Photo Attribution: Depositphotos_33304085_l-2015
:cd llo [cs 710]