Pickup Single Vehicle Crash in Sacramento Brings Down Utility Wires
I’m Ed Smith, a Sacramento car accident lawyer. A late morning accident in East Sacramento happened when a large pickup truck collided with a pole, bringing down the wires and blocking the roadway. According to the California Highway Patrol (CHP), the driver of the pickup suffered an injury in the single vehicle crash. However, no word was released on whether the driver was treated at the scene or required further medical care.
The collision occurred shortly before noon at Hickory Avenue and Shoshone Way when a Dodge Ram 3500 crashed into a pole for unknown reasons. The CHP reported that the pickup sustained moderate to major damage. One lane of traffic was affected by the accident. Because of the damage to the pickup, a tow truck was called to remove the vehicle. It is unknown at this time whether drugs or alcohol ingestion was a factor in the crash.
Single Vehicle Crash
Single vehicle crashes are those where one vehicle crashes into an inanimate object such as a utility pole, a house or store, an animal in the road or roadway debris. It can also be used to describe a rollover accident. Generally, such accidents are caused by driver error. Some common factors are:
- Speed: Speed is a primary reason single vehicle crashes happen. This is due to the lack of control a person experiences when maintaining a faster speed. In certain areas, such as around a curve or on an exit or entrance ramp, speed increases the risk of a single vehicle crash.
- Driver fatigue: Drowsy driving is a major cause of accidents. Not only do you risk falling asleep, but due to the fatigue one’s ability to make appropriate judgments is diminished. Even a few seconds can make a difference when traveling at highway speeds.
- Impaired driving: Driving while impaired causes numerous accidents, resulting in more than one death every hour. This amount to 29 fatalities a day nationwide. In addition, prescription and over-the-counter drugs as well as illegal ones cause many injuries and deaths. In 2015, drugs were more likely to cause an accident than alcohol. In that year, 43 percent of drivers, who were using drugs and driving, died compared to 39 percent with alcohol alone. However, in many cases, both drugs and alcohol are used. This enhances the effects of both.
- Roads: In many cases, the condition of the road has an impact on single vehicle crashes. This includes narrow shoulder spaces, potholes, bad drainage, curves that are too sharp for the speed and poor curve banks.
- Weather: Inclement weather that makes the roads slick or icy can lead to more single vehicle accidents.
- Vehicle defects: Such things as a defective tire or brakes can lead to a single vehicle crash.
Number of Single Vehicle Crashes
Nationwide, roughly 60 percent of all crashes were single vehicle crashes in 2015. In 2016, the number of single vehicle crashes in California was 2,063. This compares to 1,560 multiple vehicle crashes during the same period.
Sacramento Car Accident and Personal Injury Lawyer
I’m Ed Smith, a Sacramento car accident lawyer. Single vehicle accidents are common. However, they aren’t always caused by driver error but can include defective parts or roadway conditions. If your accident or that of your loved one was caused through negligence, I may be able to help with friendly and free advice about your situation. Give me a call at (916) 921-6400 here in Sacramento. For those outside the area, phone (800) 404-5400 toll-free.
Having information about a lawyer is helpful when seeking representation. Please visit the following pages for insight into mine:
I am proud to be a member of milliondollaradvocates.com. This group is for trial lawyers with $1 million verdicts or settlements won for their clients.
I have worked as an injury lawyer for more than 36 years, helping the residents of Sacramento and around Northern California with their claims for compensation, including all types of car accidents and in cases involving wrongful death.
Photo Attribution: https://pixabay.com/en/dodge-ram-diesel-829792/
:cd [cs 727] cv