Single-Vehicle Traffic Collision on I-80 Kills Passenger
An Oroville man, age 18, was a passenger in a vehicle who died in a traffic collision in Vallejo on January 5. The vehicle was being driven by another Oroville resident, age 27. The California Highway Patrol (CHP) reported that the Dodge Ram the two men were in exited the roadway and struck a box truck that was disabled on the shoulder of the roadway.
Investigation Underway to Determine Cause of Fatal Traffic Collision
The Vallejo accident occurred along I-80 westbound close to Magazine Street at about 10:00 a.m. The interstate was closed down for around three hours while an investigation into the accident was conducted by the CHP. Alcohol consumption did not appear to factor into the cause of the fatal collision. Those who have information about the crash are asked to contact Officer Withrow by calling (707) 639-4600, which is the Solano area office of the CHP.
Deaths to a Vehicle Passenger
Drivers are responsible for the welfare of passengers in their vehicle. If the driver is negligent and causes a traffic collision resulting in fatalities, they can be held responsible financially either through their insurance company or by filing a claim in civil court. Losing a loved one is heartbreaking for the family, however, they may obtain closure and some sense of justice by filing a wrongful death claim.
Wrongful Death Claims
Over the past years, AutoAccident.com attorneys have recovered compensation for grieving families after a fatal traffic collision. Our free, no-obligation consultation will help you determine your chances of recovering damages through a wrongful death claim, answer your questions and explain your options. Due to our understanding of the challenges you face, our attorneys and staff treat yours as if they were their own.
Compensation in Wrongful Death Claims
In a wrongful death lawsuit, the following damages are likely to be recovered:
- In many cases, it is possible to recover the wages a decedent would have earned until their retirement age. The decedent’s family is also compensated in other areas, such as bonuses, tips, insurance, pension or other benefits, which are recoverable.
- It is possible to claim funeral and burial costs.
- Tax preparation, lawn care and other duties may have been part of the decedent’s responsibilities at home. This may entitle the family to reimbursement for the expense of hiring assistance.
- Inheritance losses are recoverable, as they are what would have been left to beneficiaries of the estate by the decedent.
- There may be a claim for loss of consortium, as well as for the absence of love and affection that a spouse would have provided had they lived.
- As the decedent can no longer guide, comfort and nurture their children, compensation is appropriate.
- It is possible for the family of a deceased person to ask for punitive damages when criminal negligence caused the death. An award like this is in addition to any received in a wrongful death case.
Vallejo Wrongful Death Lawyer
I am Ed Smith, and I’m a Vallejo wrongful death lawyer. You may want to find out if your family can file a wrongful death claim if your loved one died in a traffic collision as a result of someone else’s negligence. Our accident attorneys are available to provide free and friendly advice at (707) 564-1900 or (800) 404-5400. Sending an online message is also an option.
The following groups are a privilege for us to belong to:
Many Vallejo residents have come to us for help following an accident, obtaining the compensation they deserve with the help of our injury lawyers. Below are some examples of our work:
:cd llo