One Killed in Head-On Collision Near Stockton
One person was killed, and three others were injured in a head-on collision near Stockton on the morning of November 7, 2019. The crash occurred along Highway 12 and Interstate 5 west of Terminous, a census-designated place in San Joaquin County. According to the California Highway Patrol (CHP), a westbound Mercedes-Benz veered over the solid double-yellow lines into the eastbound lane. The Mercedes-Benz reportedly collided head-on with an oncoming Nissan, causing severe injuries to four parties. The four people, from both vehicles, were taken to local hospitals for treatment of injuries ranging from moderate to critical. Sadly, one of the parties in the Nissan succumbed to their injuries during hospitalization.
Wrongful Death in a Head-On Collision
When a family member is lost, coming to terms with what the future may be like without them can be challenging. If the death was caused by someone else’s negligent actions, the family may be able to claim monetary damages for the wrongful death of their loved one. Although no amount of compensation may ever make up for the loss of a family member, it may help the family ease some of the unexpected financial hardships they have experienced.
Recoverable Damages in a Wrongful Death Claim
While the loss of a family member may never be fully satisfied, California law allows for those impacted by the death to recover wrongful death damages. These include:
- Death-Related Expenses: Surviving family members may be able to claim bills associated with a loved one’s funeral and burial services. Conversely, the costs of medical treatment incurred by the decedent before his or her passing may be recovered through a survival action.
- Emotional Suffering: This takes into account the mental anguish experienced by family members for a loved one’s wrongful death.
- Financial Support: The family of the deceased may be able to seek compensation for the loss of financial support and benefits that would have been provided by the decedent had he or she survived.
- Household Contributions: The family may be able to claim the costs of household chores that were provided by the deceased, such as childcare and home maintenance (your Stockton wrongful death attorney may hire an economist to calculate this type of damage).
- Noneconomic Losses: This consists of the loss of a loved one’s companionship, care, comfort, and moral support for the family.
- Punitive Damages: These may be recovered in wrongful death claims involving egregious acts such as drunk driving.
For more information on wrongful death cases, watch the below video.
How a Lawyer Can Help Your Family
Head-on collisions are often challenging to deal with, particularly when serious injuries or death are involved. This is why it is essential to have an experienced Stockton personal injury attorney at your side. At our firm, we simplify the process for a decedent’s family by investigating the details of the collision and preserving critical evidence to build a strong case for fair compensation. We also handle cases on a contingency basis, meaning a family owes no upfront fees until we obtain a favorable outcome in their case. By doing so, we help surviving family members focus on grieving and recovering from their loved one’s death without legal or financial worry.
Personal Injury Lawyers in Stockton
I’m Ed Smith, a Stockton personal injury lawyer. Being seriously injured or losing someone you love in a car accident is devastating. This is especially true when the incident was caused by the negligence of another. If you or a loved one was injured or killed in a head-on collision due to the fault of someone else, please call me at (209) 227-1931 or toll-free at (800) 404-5400 to receive my free, friendly advice.
You are invited to take a look at our client ratings and reviews at:
I am a member of several legal groups, including the Million Dollar Advocates and the National Association of Distinguished Counsel. The first group limits membership to attorneys who have won over $1 million for a client through a case verdict or settlement. The other organization invites fewer than the top one percent of lawyers to join who provide their clients with the highest standards of legal excellence.
Visit our Verdicts and Settlements page for more information about our law office and past cases we have handled.
Picture Credit: By “StockSnap” via Pixabay
:ds llo [cs 742]