Merced Pedestrian Accident Fatally Injures Woman in Wheelchair
I’m Ed Smith, a Merced car accident lawyer. A 62-year-old woman in a wheelchair suffered fatal injuries after she was hit by an oncoming vehicle while crossing a street in Merced on May 25, 2018. Shortly after 9:00 p.m., the woman was crossing College Avenue in the vicinity of West Olive Avenue when she was hit by a 2006 Nissan Maxima. The driver was a 34-year-old man. Responders to the scene found the woman in a state of unconsciousness but still breathing. She was transported via air ambulance to the Memorial Medical Center in Modesto. Sadly, she succumbed to her injuries.
My thoughts and prayers are with the family and friends of the decedent during this challenging time.
The cause of the accident is under investigation by local authorities. The Nissan driver remained at the scene and has been fully cooperative with investigators. Neither alcohol nor drug use are believed to have played as factors in the crash.
Motorist Responsibility for Pedestrian Safety
A pedestrian is not only an individual who is traveling on foot. According to the California Department of Motor Vehicles, a pedestrian can also be a person riding on a skateboard or roller skates as well as someone with a disability using a wheelchair as their form of transportation. Observing the following driver tips may help in avoiding a pedestrian accident.
- Abide signage posted for pedestrians
- Never attempt to overtake a vehicle stopped at a crosswalk
- Proceed with caution when pedestrians are present
- Respect a pedestrian’s right-of-way
- Remain vigilant in areas where crosswalks are placed in the middle of a roadway, particularly near hospitals or schools
Ensuring Your Safety as a Pedestrian
Taking precautions as a pedestrian can help keep yourself from becoming a statistic.
- Abstain from stepping out between parked vehicles as it may reduce your visibility to oncoming cars
- Avoid wearing dark-colored clothing
- Don’t dart out in front of a car
- Make eye contact as much as possible with motorists
- Never walk in pedestrian-prohibited areas such as bridges or highways
- Refrain from walking while distracted such as texting, listening to music with earphones or talking on a cell phone
- Use a headlamp or carry a flashlight if walking during dawn or dusk
- When sidewalks are not available, walk facing traffic
How a Personal Injury Lawyer Can Help
Pedestrians are likely to suffer a wide array of serious injuries in a collision with a motor vehicle due to their vulnerability. These may include bone fractures, internal trauma, spinal cord injuries and head injuries. Such injuries can lead to extended hospital stays and long periods of recovery. In these cases, hiring a skilled attorney can help you and your family in putting their lives back together following a tragic accident and obtain fair compensation for resulting damages.
Merced Car Accident Lawyer
I’m Ed Smith, a Merced car accident lawyer. When a pedestrian accident causes injuries or claims the life of a family member, an experienced injury lawyer can help in recovering damages. If this has happened to you or someone in your family, please contact me at (209) 227-1931 or toll-free at (800) 404-5400 for free, friendly legal advice.
Client reviews of our law office may be found on:
I am a member of the Million Dollar Advocates, a group of national trial attorneys who have won million dollar settlements and verdicts on behalf of their clients.
Please feel free to browse our Verdicts and Settlements page.
Image Courtesy: By “Kat Jayne” via Pexels
:ds llo bw [cs 605] cv