Insurance and Hit and Run Drivers

Home » Insurance and Hit and Run Drivers
April 03, 2016
Edward Smith

Insurance and Hit and Run Drivers

Hit and Run Drivers and Insurance

Uninsured or hit-and-run drivers cause havoc on our roadways. Many times during the years of my Sacramento personal injury practice, I have encountered people who were struck by or whose family was struck by a hit-and-run driver.

Wrong Impressions

Usually, my clients feel they need to locate the hit-and-run driver to recover damages for their injuries. Most of the time, that absolutely is not the case. As long as the person struck by the hit-and-run driver owned an auto or someone else in his dwelling owned an auto, he or she is likely covered by auto insurance.

Uninsured Motorist Insurance

Most policies also have uninsured motorist insurance covering pedestrians or bicyclists struck by a hit-and-run driver. If the injured person had auto insurance, he also has uninsured motorist insurance in California unless he signed a written waiver.

Anyone Living in the Household

Even if another roommate or family member owned the auto where an injured person resides, uninsured motorist coverage usually extends to anyone in the same household.

Injured by Hit and Run Driver?

If you or a family member were injured by a hit-and-run or uninsured driver, call me for free, friendly advice.

I’m Ed Smith, an Auburn car accident lawyer with the primary accident information site on  Call me now at (916)  921-6400. If you are outside the Sacramento area, call me at (800) 404-5400 for free, friendly advice.

I’ve been helping residents of Auburn recover compensation for their personal injuries since 1982.

Read my customer reviews and learn more about my friendly Yelp, Avvo, and Google staff.

California Member of Million Dollar Advocates Forum.

Click on this helpful article: how to choose a personal injury attorney that is best for you.

Photo Attribution: Coolcaesar at CC-BY-SA-3.0 (], via Wikimedia Commons