Injuries Reported in Stockton Pedestrian Accident
Injuries were reported after a recent Stockton pedestrian accident. The incident occurred shortly before 8:20 a.m. near West Lane and Bourbon Street. The motorist of a pickup reportedly collided with a pedestrian in the area. Officials reported that the driver stayed at the scene and cooperated with investigators. Unfortunately, the pedestrian was transported to the hospital for treatment of serious injuries. An update regarding the pedestrian’s condition has not yet been released by officials.
How to Stay Safe on the Road
As a pedestrian, you have no control over the behavior of drivers on the road. However, you still can control how you walk on the street. You can do so by making sure you are aware of your surroundings when walking outdoors. Always look both ways before crossing a street. Do not become distracted by your cell phone or other people. If you are walking past a driveway, stop before crossing to ensure no vehicles are reversing out of the driveway without looking. Carry a flashlight and wear bright colored clothing so drivers will be able to see you at night. Call a friend or rideshare company such as Uber or Lyft to pick you up and drop you off at home safely when you have been drinking. For more tips on how to stay safe as a pedestrian, watch the video below.
Common Pedestrian Accident Injuries
Pedestrians often suffer severe injuries in traffic collisions. Since they have little to no protection, they face an even higher potential for catastrophic injuries or even death. Some of the common pedestrian accident injuries include facial scarring, cervical sprain, internal trauma, bone fractures, spinal cord damage, and traumatic brain injuries.
Common Reasons for Pedestrian Accidents
Pedestrian accidents often occur when motorists fail to exercise due care in a variety of situations. These include:
- Distracted driving such as texting or calling on a cell phone
- Driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs
- Failing to yield the right-of-way to pedestrians in crosswalks
- Ignored a traffic signal or stop sign
- Not looking for pedestrians in the crosswalk when turning right
- Not stopping for a school bus that has its stop-sign arm extended and red lights flashing
- Reversing out of a parking stall
- Speeding in residential areas where children are present
Recoverable Damages in a Pedestrian Injury Claim
When a pedestrian accident is caused by the negligence of a driver, the injured individual may be able to seek compensation for their damages. The types of damages available are determined on a case-by-case basis. However, some of the economic and noneconomic damages that may be received include:
- Loss of earning potential if the pedestrian is not able to return to work due to permanent disability
- Lost wages for the time a pedestrian misses from work to recover from an injury or attend medical appointments
- Loss of consortium if the pedestrian’s relationship with his or her spouse has been damaged as a result of the injury
- Past and future medical bills the pedestrian has incurred due to the injury
- Pain and suffering refers to mental, emotional, and physical pain
How an Attorney Can Help
The process of filing a personal injury claim for a pedestrian accident can be time-consuming and complex. Insurance companies often use tactics to reduce their payout for a claim or deny it altogether. That is why it is essential to hire an experienced Stockton pedestrian accident attorney to handle your claim. An experienced attorney will work to ensure you receive the best outcome possible in your case. This way, you have the time to recover from your injuries without stress and financial worry.
Stockton Personal Injury Lawyer
I’m Ed Smith, a Stockton personal injury lawyer. When a pedestrian is hit by a negligent driver, the resulting injuries are often severe. If you or a loved one has been seriously injured in a pedestrian accident caused by the fault of another, I am here to provide you with free, friendly case advice. Please call me at (209) 227-1931 or toll-free at (800) 404-5400.
Take a look at our client ratings and reviews at:
Two of the groups that I am proud to belong to are the National Association of Distinguished Counsel and the Million Dollar Advocates. The first organization represents those attorneys who exhibit high standards of legal excellence. The other group is comprised of top trial attorneys who have won over $1 million for a client.
Visit our Verdicts and Settlements page to find out more about prior cases our law firm has handled.
Picture Credit: By “ElasticComputeFarm” via Pixabay
:ds llo [cs 771]