Fatal Accident Occurs on Interstate 5 Involving Wrong-Way Driver
A head-on crash in Colusa County north of Woodland caused the death of four people on August 22. The collision occurred along Interstate 5 near Fairview Road at around 12:48 a.m. The report issued by the California Highway Patrol (CHP) stated that the driver of a Nissan Altima was going north along the wrong side of Interstate 5 when it struck a newer Nissan Altima heading south.
Four Fatalities Reported in Head-On Crash
The wrong-way driver, a Maxwell resident, age 24, was taken by emergency responders to Enloe Medical Center, where she died. Three people were killed in the other car. They were Timothy Daniels, a Vacaville resident, age 57, and two Suisun City residents, Quincy Lovelace, age 28, and Christopher Martinez, age 34.
Accident Being Investigated to Determine Cause of Wrong-Way Crash
The only survivor in the crash was David McDaniels from Suisun City, age 52. However, he suffered major injuries and was airlifted to Enloe Medical Center. The CHP is uncertain at this point if alcohol or drugs factored into the cause of the head-on crash. The highway was shut down for some time as an investigation into the accident was conducted.
Filing a Wrongful Death Claim
The immediate family members of someone who died as a result of someone else’s negligence in a head-on crash can recover compensation through filing a wrongful death claim. In addition to explaining your options moving forward, a personal injury attorney can answer any questions you might have and assist you through the process. There are a number of damages that can be recovered, including:
- Burial and funeral expenses can be reclaimed.
- The decedent’s income until retirement is recoverable, along with pensions, insurance benefits, bonuses and other benefits.
- In the event of a spouse’s death, compensation for the loss of consortium, love and support can be claimed.
- Compensation may be available for children in the family who lost guidance and nurturing from the decedent. This is recoverable by natural and adopted children as well as stepchildren who received at least half their support from the deceased parent.
- Caregiving for the decedent’s children, tax preparation, maintaining the lawn and other duties regularly performed by the deceased may be recovered as household chores. This occurs when the surviving family members will now have to pay someone to perform those duties.
What Type of Compensation Is Recoverable if I Suffered an Injury?
You may also be entitled to compensation if you suffer injuries as a result of negligence on the part of a driver who caused a head-on crash. Those involved in a two-vehicle crash can recover all their medical expenses, lost wages from being unable to work and pain and suffering compensation in personal injury cases with the help of an accident attorney.
Wrongful Death Attorneys in Woodland
I am Ed Smith, a Woodland wrongful death attorney. When a loved one dies because of the actions of a negligent driver, your family may wish to find out whether they can place a wrongful death claim. To receive free and friendly advice, please contact us at (530) 392-9400 or (800) 404-5400. We can also be reached online. A free consultation can be arranged with one of our accident attorneys to answer your questions, review the case and let you know about ways to move forward with your claim.
We belong to:
Discover how others have been helped by our injury lawyers at the links that follow:
:cd llo