Minor Seriously Injured on C Street After Being Struck in a Hit-and-Run
A Yuba City accident on November 3 that injured a young pedestrian involved a hit-and-run driver who fled the scene afterward. The accident happened along C Street at about 12:25 p.m., according to the Yuba City Police Department. Relatives of the minor said he was departing the house of a relative at the time the collision occurred and suffered a broken hip, back, ankle, knee and ribs along with other injuries.
Information Sought to Identify Hit-and-Run Driver
The minor was said to have been crossing the street, close to Gauche Aquatic Park to meet a cousin for lunch. When the cousin pinged the minor’s phone, she discovered him lying in the roadway. The Yuba City Police Department is looking for information about the driver and suspect vehicle. Anyone with information about the hit-and-run is asked to contact them at (530) 822-4661. To help out with the minor’s hospital expenses, a GoFundMe is set up.
The number of hit-and-run accidents has escalated in California in recent years. They are charged as a misdemeanor or a felony if the perpetrator is apprehended. Some studies have shown that approximately only 10 percent of all hit-and-run cases are solved due to a lack of usable evidence. Some of the reasons they occur are:
- The fleeing vehicle driver is inebriated and does not want to be charged with a DUI.
- Drugs or drug paraphernalia are in the vehicle and could lead to an arrest.
- The driver stole the vehicle.
- The fleeing vehicle driver does not have a valid license or registration, both of which could lead to serious consequences.
- The driver became frightened after the accident even if it was not their fault. This type of hit-and-run driver might return to the scene or turn themselves in once they calm down.
Compensation for Accident Injuries After the At-Fault Driver Leaves
Obtaining compensation for accident injuries can be challenging when the at-fault driver is identified. It is even more so when the identity of the driver is unknown. Our lawyers help clients when this happens by assisting the injured party using their uninsured/underinsured liability insurance. This is an addendum to their auto insurance, and it is offered to all California drivers. Although drivers are free to reject this offer, many take it.
The injured person can benefit from the add-on policy regardless if they are driving, walking or riding a bicycle. In addition, if they failed to sign up for an uninsured policy or are too young to do so and another member of their family did, they can use it.
How Our Law Firm Helps Clients Injured by a Fleeing Driver
Our investigators have been working on accidents by fleeing drivers for some time. We try, alongside law enforcement, to find the at-fault motorist. To do this:
- We go to the scene of the accident and look for physical evidence.
- We talk to accident witnesses.
- We review police reports to ensure the contents are accurate and complete.
- We use accident reconstruction techniques and obtain surveillance video to complete our understanding of the crash.
- Our attorneys use the evidence to build a strong case for negotiation or in court.
Yuba City Personal Injury Lawyer
I am Ed Smith, and I’m a Yuba City personal injury lawyer. It is possible to hold a negligent driver liable for your medical expenses and other losses if their actions caused your injuries. We can provide you with free and friendly advice by calling (530) 392-9400 or (800) 404-5400. Our attorneys can provide you with a free review of your case, answer your questions and tell you about your options for recovering compensation. If you would like to contact us online, you can do so as well.
We are honored to be a part of the following groups:
Many people have benefited from the experience of our injury lawyers in obtaining the compensation they deserve after being injured in an accident. Below you will find a list of cases and comments:
:cd llo