Wrong Way Driver Causes Sacramento Fatality
A wrong way driver was responsible for an accident fatality in Sacramento on August 26 along Howe Avenue. According to the police report, the driver of a Volvo was proceeding north along Howe Avenue, close to American River Drive. Their vehicle crossed over into the southbound lanes for an as yet unknown reason and struck a Prius head-on at about 3:40 in the afternoon. The driver of the Volvo died in the accident, while the individual driving the Prius suffered major injuries and was transported to a hospital, according to the California Highway Patrol (CHP).
Additional Details of the Accident
Police shut down Howe Avenue from Swarthmore Street to American River Drive because of the wrong way driver accident. Traffic backed up for miles along Howe Avenue in both directions because this is a busy time of day along this major street. The names of the drivers who were involved in the crash have not yet been released. Authorities are still trying to determine the reason the wrong way driver veered into the opposite lane. The CHP is asking anyone who saw the accident to call with their information.
What an Attorney Can Do
The reason why some accidents happen is not always clear cut. Although authorities are on the job investigating the crash, having an injury lawyer on site is important. That is why it is vital to call us as soon as possible after a deadly accident. We dispatch our investigators to scour the scene to search for evidence, interview witnesses and obtain footage from video cameras in the area of the accident. These can be from traffic cameras as well as those captured by area businesses. Our investigators then turn this data over to our legal team who builds a strong case against the defendant. Calling us as soon as possible after the accident is important since the earlier we start, the less likely any evidence will be covered up or lost.
Wrong Way Drivers
Wrong way drivers precipitate some of the most devastating accidents. They do not happen as often as other types of crashes, but when they do, the consequences are grim. According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, there are roughly 350 people killed by wrong way drivers despite signs and barriers to prevent these types of accidents. Older drivers over 70 are responsible for more wrong way accidents than younger ones. This may be due to some measure of loss of cognitive acuity or failing vision. Some other reasons are as follows:
- Many wrong way accidents occur at night. Studies have shown that 78 percent of all such accidents occur between 6:00 p.m. and 6:00 a.m. This is chiefly due to the lowered visibility at night.
- Both fatigued and impaired drivers are more likely to enter a roadway or on or off-ramp going in the wrong direction.
- Unfamiliarity with the road can cause some drivers to head in the wrong direction.
- Many wrong way driver accidents occur when the motor vehicle operator enters the exit ramp in the wrong direction. Unclear, hidden, or poor signage can be a problem here. If that is the case, your attorney can file a claim against the government agency responsible for the road design and upkeep.
- The vast majority of wrong way accidents occur in the lane adjacent to the median.
- Drunk driving is one of the major causes of wrong way accidents.
Sacramento Car Accident Lawyer
I’m Ed Smith, a Sacramento car accident lawyer. If you or a loved one is injured in an accident by a negligent driver, you may be able to claim fair compensation with the help of a seasoned lawyer. Give me a call for my free and friendly advice at (916) 921-6400 locally or (800) 404-5400 if you are calling long-distance. You can also reach me online.
During the 37 years I’ve handled cases as a Sacramento lawyer, I’ve helped many people obtain fair compensation. Whether it involves all kinds of traffic accidents, traumatic brain injuries, or wrongful deaths, I’m here to serve you.
At the following links, you can check out my clients’ reviews and comments, along with cases that my law firm has resolved in the past:
I belong to the following organizations:
- The National Association of Distinguished Counsel is open only to lawyers who exhibit the highest standards of excellence in the law.
- The Million Dollar Advocates Forum accepts for membership only those lawyers who have won more than one million dollars for a former client.
Photo Attribution: https://pixabay.com/photos/wrong-way-sign-road-caution-167535/
:cd llo [cs 771]