Sedan Trapped Against Guardrail by Garbage Truck in Freeway Accident
A West Sacramento accident involving a garbage truck occurred on May 5 on Interstate 80 that ended up with a passenger vehicle being pinned against the guardrail. The collision occurred along eastbound I-80 just west of the Reed Avenue off-ramp around 7:42 a.m. According to the accident report filed by the California Highway Patrol (CHP), the crash involved a sedan, a garbage truck and a big rig. At the time the accident occurred, injuries had not yet been reported. The collision is being investigated to understand how it happened and to assign fault.
Accidents Involving a Garbage Truck
Commercial vehicles tend to be much larger and heavier than passenger cars and light trucks. These roadway dangers include tractor-trailers, trash trucks, and those that are hauling rocks, cement and other products. Delivery trucks are also a danger to smaller vehicles on the roadway. Part of the problem is not only the much larger size and heavier weight of these vehicles but the blind spots and lack of maneuverability that make them dangerous.
Because garbage truck drivers start out very early in the morning, have frequent starts and stops and, in many cases, have to use a spotter because the driver’s view is so poor, it shouldn’t be surprising that accidents occur. Some ways in which the driver of a garbage truck can cause a serious injury accident include:
- The truck driver is speeding, which makes it more difficult to slow down or avoid a collision up ahead.
- The truck is overloaded, which means it is less maneuverable in an emergency situation.
- The driver is fatigued and not alert enough to avoid a crash.
- Because the driver is texting or talking on a cell phone, they fail to see they are about to collide with another vehicle.
- The driver forgets to check his blind spots before changing lanes and crashes into a passenger vehicle.
- The driver may not be qualified to handle such a large, heavy vehicle.
- The garbage truck has not been properly maintained, which causes the accident.
Who Is Liable in a Garbage Truck Accident
In some cases, the driver may be liable for accident injuries. If it is shown the driver was not qualified to handle the truck or maintenance was the issue, the company may also be at fault. The lawyers at AutoAccident.com have successfully handled many accidents involving big commercial vehicles over the years and can do the same for you. They work hard to get you fair compensation for your injuries, including the following:
- Medical costs: Any medical expenses caused by the collision can be claimed. This includes the ambulance fee, hospital costs, tests, any surgeries and rehabilitative care. Out of pocket expenses can be recovered, too, such as the cost of your trips to your doctor.
- Pain and suffering: Those who are injured in an accident, especially with a much larger vehicle, often end up in the hospital and go through a lot of pain before they heal. Many suffer emotional and psychological pain in addition. Compensation for these can be recovered.
- Lost wages: Wages that are lost because of the inability to work can be recovered. In many cases, an injured person will take unpaid vacation time or sick leave, and that can be recovered too.
Top-Rated Personal Injury Lawyers in West Sacramento
I am Ed Smith, and I’m a West Sacramento personal injury lawyer. Any collision involving a big commercial vehicle can have dangerous consequences for those in passenger cars. If your accident injuries resulted from a negligent driver, call us at (916) 921-6400 to get our free and friendly advice. If you prefer, you can call us at (800) 404-5400 or contact us online. We can offer you a free consultation, held virtually or in person, to go over your case and tell you about opportunities to recover the compensation you deserve.
You can discover how others have been helped by our team of injury lawyers at the links that follow:
Following are some of the associations we are especially proud to belong to:
Photo attribution: Image by JBlueberry from Pixabay
:cd llo