Se habla español


Valley Springs Boy Injured in Car Accident

Home » Valley Springs Boy Injured in Car Accident
August 05, 2019
Edward Smith

Valley Springs Boy Injured in Car Accident

A Valley Springs boy was injured in a car accident on the afternoon of August 1, 2019. According to the California Highway Patrol (CHP), the three-car crash occurred shortly after 1:40 p.m. at Highway 12 and Highway 49 in San Andreas. A 69-year-old Mokeulumne Hill woman was driving a 2017 SUV southbound along Highway 49 and entered westbound Highway 12. While doing so, the SUV driver reportedly struck the side of a 2003 Honda driven by a 30-year-old Valley Springs man. The impact of the collision propelled the Honda into an eastbound 2004 Toyota driven by a 22-year-old Valley Springs woman. Emergency personnel responding to the scene transported the Honda driver to the hospital for treatment of minor injuries. Sadly, an 8-year-old Valley Springs boy suffered serious injuries in the crash. He was taken by air ambulance to the UC Davis Medical Center in Sacramento for treatment. An update regarding his condition was not immediately available.

Car Accidents Involving Children

As a parent or guardian of a child who was injured in a car accident, you may feel like the world is crashing down on you. Your child may lose sleep or feel afraid of riding in cars. Whether your child is bedridden at home or receiving treatment at the hospital, you may have a lot on your plate. On top of missing time at work to take care of your injured child, you may have insurance paperwork and medical expenses to add to the issue. In such situations, a Valley Springs personal injury lawyer can help investigate and gather evidence to build a strong case on your child’s behalf. This way, your attorney can defend your family against insurance claims adjusters who do not have your child’s best interests in mind.

Can You Claim Compensation for an Injured Child in a Car Accident?

When a child is injured in a car accident caused by the negligence of another, they may be entitled to some of the same types of damages an adult would receive. To do so, a third-party claim will need to be filed with the negligent driver’s insurance company on the child’s behalf. If that motorist does not carry enough insurance or none at all, a claim may be filed under the parent’s own auto insurance policy if they have uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage. This may compensate for the following:

  • Costs of past and future projected medical treatment.
  • Disfigurement for the humiliation and embarrassment associated with permanent scarring. Expenses for cosmetic surgery to revise the disfigurement may also be considered for reimbursement.
  • Mental anguish and emotional suffering.
  • Pain and suffering for physical, emotional, and psychological damage caused by a car accident injury.
  • Permanent disability may be claimed in an auto accident so long that it can be proven through expert testimony.

The value of a personal injury claim may be affected by specific factors. Watch the below video to learn what these are.

Is There a Time Limit for Personal Injury Claims Involving Minors?

California law recognizes that personal injury cases involving children are much more different than that of adults. Since a child under the age of 18 cannot file a personal injury lawsuit on their own, only a legal guardian or parent can do so on their behalf. The law also differs in terms of the statute of limitations that applies to injured children. Under California Code of Civil Procedure Section 335.1, a personal injury claim must be filed within two years from the time of a car crash. However, the deadline may be extended or tolled until an injured child turns 18-years-old. From that time, they have two years to bring a claim for personal injury. Since specific rules and statutes may apply in such cases, it is essential to meet with an experienced attorney.

Car Accident Lawyers in Valley Springs

I’m Ed Smith, a Valley Springs car accident lawyer. A parent’s worst nightmare may come true when their child is injured in a car accident. As a parent, you want to ensure your child is fairly compensated for their injuries and losses. Given what is at stake, you need an attorney at your side. If you or a loved one has been injured in an accident caused by someone else, please call me at (209) 227-1931 or toll-free at (800) 404-5400 to receive my free, friendly case advice.

With so many lawyers to choose from, it may be challenging to decide which to call to have your questions answered. Checking client ratings and reviews about an attorney can give you a better idea of whether they are a good fit for your case or not. Links to ours are listed below:

The Million Dollar Advocates promotes top trial attorneys who have obtained over $1 million for a client. I am honored to be listed as a California member of this forum. I also belong to the National Association of Distinguished Counsel, a group composed of attorneys who uphold the highest standards in their practice of law.

A selection of cases our law office has handled is listed at our Verdicts and Settlements page.

Image Credit: By “ElasticComputeFarm” via Pixabay

:ds llo [cs 887]