Two-Vehicle Collision on U.S. 50 at 16th Street Causes Major Injuries
I’m Sacramento car accident lawyer Ed Smith. An April 14 collision between two vehicles along US 50 eastbound caused significant injuries to one person. The accident happened just after 8:00 in the morning along US 50 and the 16th Street on-ramp when a 2014 black Chevy Cruze and white Ford Fusion collided, according to the California Highway Patrol (CHP). Following the collision, both vehicles ended up along the right-hand side of the road, partially blocking one lane. The Chevy was reported as having Missouri license plates. At least one individual was reported as having significant injuries and was taken by ambulance to the UC Davis Medical Center for treatment. Officers were at the scene of the crash to determine the cause of the accident; however, no more information has been released at this time.
High Number of Traffic Collisions in Sacramento and Surrounding County
Sacramento is no stranger to vehicle accidents. In 2015, the latest year for statistics, the California Office of Traffic Safety reported 4,502 injuries and fatalities caused by traffic collisions. This places the city as third among 15 other California cities of similar size. In Sacramento County, there were 11,710 traffic accidents reported in 2015 that caused fatalities or injuries. The county itself placed third among all the counties in California for the number of crashes resulting in injuries and deaths.
Emergency Care and Types of Injuries
Emergency care is needed for many types of car accidents. This is due to the high speed and other factors of the vehicles upon impact. Following are some common injuries suffered in motor vehicle collisions:
- Brain injuries: These types of injuries may range from a mild injury such as a slight concussion to severe injuries such as traumatic brain injury. A TBI can affect critical functions in the body like memory, sight, speech and cognitive ability.
- Neck injuries: This common injury is caused by the head whipping back and forth during vehicle impact. It can damage ligaments or vertebrae, disks or the spinal cord. Some injuries can cause chronic pain.
- Knee and leg injuries: These injuries can be caused by impact or crushing and range from bruising to one or more bone fractures or damage to the joints.
- Spinal cord damage: Damage to the spine can cause temporary or permanent disability, depending on the location of the damage. In some cases, it causes paralysis or loss of function in limbs. This not only reduces the quality of life but may mean that the injured person requires permanent care throughout the rest of his/her lifetime.
- Abdominal injuries: Injuries to the organs commonly occur in accidents with a frontal or side impact. These severe injuries may range from internal bleeding to organ damage such as the spleen, liver or intestines. A pelvic fracture may also occur.
- Amputation injuries: A traumatic amputation injury can occur to any part of a limb or the entire limb and is known to happen during motor vehicle accidents. This can be a life-changing injury causing disability.
Effects of Injury
The one thing that the above injuries have in common is that they cause extensive medical bills and lost time from work as well as the pain and suffering caused by the crash. If the injuries were caused by the actions of a negligent driver, you could obtain fair compensation to pay your financial loss. A seasoned injury lawyer who is experienced in motor vehicle accident injuries can examine your case to determine fault, and explain your options to recover damages. Since personal injury lawyers work on a commission basis, there is no fee unless and until the case is won.
Sacramento Car Accident Lawyer
I’m Sacramento car accident lawyer Ed Smith. You might be able to collect compensation for your accident injuries if they were caused by someone else’s negligence. For free, friendly advice about your situation, contact me at (916) 921-6400. I also have a toll-free line at (800) 404-5400 and an online form for your convenience.
Because I have garnered settlements or verdicts for clients of a minimum of $1 million, I joined the forum at Million Dollar Advocates.
Learn more about my law practice by visiting these pages:
Photo Attribution: https://www.pexels.com/photo/cars-city-downtown-freeway-6775/
: cd [cs 741] cv