Turlock Train Accident Fatality
Turlock Train Accident Fatality — A woman suffered fatal injuries after being struck by a train in downtown Turlock on September 29, 2018. This tragic incident occurred at approximately 5:30 in the afternoon along the train tracks between Marshall Street and Main Street.
Turlock Train Accident Fatality Investigation
The identity of the woman killed in this devastating train accident has been publicly released by officials. The victim, 42-year-old Jodi Merenda, is believed to have been a transient in the area before her untimely passing. Details surrounding the direction and speed of the train and the sequence of events leading up to the accident were not immediately available.
Pedestrian Injuries in Train Accidents
When a pedestrian is involved in an accident with a train, they are often left with significant injuries as a result. Some of the most common injuries a pedestrian could sustain in a train accident include the following:
- Amputations: A traumatic pedestrian injury may have the potential to result in the loss of a limb such as a toe, finger, arm or leg.
- Broken Bones: Fractures often occur when a high impact or force is exerted on a bone. Some of the most common types of bone fractures include femur fractures and humerus fractures.
- Soft Tissue Injuries: Some areas of the body are not protected by bones. This means internal organs are susceptible to sustaining trauma in an accident.
- Traumatic Brain Injuries: When a pedestrian is hit by an oncoming train or vehicle, his or her head may strike a hard surface. Whether it is the side of a train or hood of a car, trauma to the head can cause a victim to suffer a concussion, cerebral hemorrhage, or even a fracture of the skull.
- Wrongful Death: Since pedestrians lack physical protection when involved in a collision, they are likely to suffer fatal injuries due to the overwhelming size and speed of a train.
Train Accidents and Wrongful Death
When a train accident results in the loss of a loved one, the company that owns the train may be held responsible for damages incurred. To place a claim for compensation of a loved one’s wrongful death, negligence must be proven. Some examples may include derailments and railroad crossing accidents. Derailments are often the result of the failure to follow established safety guidelines and procedures. Railroad crossing accidents can be caused by defective gates or signals, a train failing to sound its horn, or train operator inattention. Since train accident cases are complex, calling an experienced wrongful death lawyer can help in discussing your potential options.
What is a Wrongful Death Claim?
In California, those who file a wrongful death claim must prove they have a strong connection to the decedent to recover damages. Some of the losses that may be recoverable in these types of cases include end-of-life medical care, costs of a funeral and burial, loss of future earnings, lost inheritance, and more. To get a better understanding of how a wrongful death claim works, watch the following YouTube video. If you have questions about your particular case, contact an experienced wrongful death attorney in Turlock for assistance.
Turlock Wrongful Death Lawyers
I’m Ed Smith, a Turlock wrongful death lawyer. Train accidents can cause devastating consequences to those involved. If you or a member in your family were injured or killed in a collision with a train or other motor vehicle, please reach out to me anytime for free, friendly advice at (209) 227-1931 or toll-free at (800) 404-5400.
Visit the following pages to browse client ratings and reviews of my practice:
I am a California member of the Million Dollar Advocates. This forum recognizes top trial attorneys from around the country who have won a verdict or settled case worth $1 million or more for a client.
Learn about my prior cases and their results by visiting my Verdicts and Settlements page.
Turlock Train Accident Fatality: AutoAccident.com
Image Source: By “Counselling” via Pixabay
:ds cha [cs 688] cv