Turlock Bicycle Accident Injures Man
A bicycle accident near Turlock left a man with major injuries on the night of March 11, 2019. The incident occurred along Greenway Avenue in the vicinity of Lander Avenue, just south of Turlock. A man was riding his bicycle westbound along Greenway Avenue shortly before 6:00 in the evening. At the same time, a big rig was traveling north along Lander Avenue at an estimated speed of 15 mph. The trucker reportedly saw the cyclist near the intersection, braked, and turned to the left to avoid a collision. Unfortunately, his efforts were unsuccessful as the large truck collided with the cyclist. The man riding the bike suffered serious injuries and was transported via ambulance to a hospital in Modesto. An update regarding his condition has not yet been released by officials.
Common Reasons for Bicycle Crashes
Bicycle crashes are often caused by careless errors made by motorists. Some of the common reasons for these collisions include:
- Driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs
- Driving while fatigued or distracted
- Failing to stop at a red light or stop sign
- Not checking for cyclists before making a turn or switching lanes
- Opening a vehicle door without looking for an oncoming cyclist
Common Bicycle Accident Injuries
Injuries in a bicycle accident are often traumatic due to a cyclist’s lack of physical protection. These include:
- Brain Injuries: Brain cells can be damaged in a bicycle accident. This can leave an injured cyclist with a long path to recovery or even permanent disability as a result.
- Broken Bones: A bicyclist can suffer a bone fracture after being involved in an accident with a motor vehicle. It can be simple or complex in nature, which can lead to nerve damage or joint discomfort.
- Dental Injuries: Some bicycle crashes result in cracked or chipped teeth, broken mandibles, maxilla fractures, and other dental injuries.
- Infections: These can be caused by bacteria entering the body through open skin.
- Internal Trauma: This may be caused by blunt trauma or penetration, causing damage to the organs or excessive bleeding.
- Road Rash: Since road surfaces are abrasive, severe skin damage may result when a cyclist falls on the pavement.
- Spinal Cord Injuries: Trauma to the spinal column can range from loss of sensation and mobility to paralysis.
Recovering After a Bicycle Accident
Suffering an injury in a bicycle accident can lead to high medical expenses and time away from work. When the incident was the result of driver negligence, those expenses and other damages may be claimed. This may also include future wage loss due to a permanent disability, disfigurement, loss of consortium, punitive damages, and pain and suffering. The cost of domestic or household services as well as at-home medical care may also be recovered. To learn if there is enough insurance to cover an injured cyclist’s damages after a crash, watch the below video.
An Experienced Turlock Personal Injury Attorney Can Help
When a bicycle accident results in a severe injury, it is essential for the injured party to take legal action promptly. The sooner an experienced injury lawyer is retained, the more capable the attorney is of collecting evidence and preparing a strong case for compensation. This way, the attorney can prevent responsible parties from disclaiming liability. This is critical if trucking companies are involved as they often dispute responsibility for the incident. If you are unsure whether you need legal representation for your case, an experienced Turlock personal injury attorney will be able to help you understand what you may be able to claim for your damages. Most lawyers offer free consultations with valuable information about the details of your case. If you or a family member have been injured in a bicycle collision, do not hesitate to ask for assistance when it is needed.
Turlock Personal Injury Lawyers
I’m Ed Smith, a Turlock personal injury lawyer. Cyclists face unique challenges on the road. After a collision with a large truck, they may suffer serious injuries or even death. If you or a loved one has been injured in a bicycle accident caused by the fault of another driver or entity, you may benefit from the insight of an experienced injury lawyer. Please call me at (209) 227-1931 or toll-free at (800) 404-5400 to receive my free, friendly case advice.
Browse our client ratings and reviews listed on the following sites:
I belong to the Million Dollar Advocates and the National Association of Distinguished Counsel. The first forum is comprised of trial attorneys who have obtained $1 million or more for a client. The second organization permits membership to lawyers that are believed to exhibit the highest of standards in the practice of law.
Visit our Verdicts and Settlements page to look at a selection of past cases handled by our law firm.
:ds cha [cs 816]