Turlock Bicycle Accident Fatality
I’m Ed Smith, a Turlock bicycle accident attorney. An elderly man was riding his bicycle along East Harding Road near Lander Avenue in Turlock on Wednesday, May 2, 2018. At approximately 8:30 pm, the bicyclist was allegedly riding partially in the roadway when he was struck by an oncoming 2005 Mercedes-Benz driven by a Turlock resident. The impact of the collision propelled the rider off the bicycle and onto the windshield of the Mercedes-Benz. The bicyclist was transported to the Doctors Medical Center in Modesto where he was later pronounced deceased. Authorities have identified the victim as 71-year-old Jose Del Toro of Turlock.
My sincere thoughts and sympathies are with the grieving family and friends mourning the loss of their loved one after this devastating accident.
What Caused the Accident?
The California Highway Patrol (CHP) has not yet determined the cause of this collision. An investigation is currently underway. Officials did report that the driver of the Mercedes-Benz was lane-straddling and failed to the see the bicyclist before the collision. Alcohol or drug use were not believed to have played as factors in the accident.
Common Types of Bicycle Accidents
Following are the most common factors in causing bicycle accidents:
- Defective bicycle equipment can range from faulty gear changers, brakes or pedal clips to improper frame welding;
- Motorists turning left or right in front of a bicyclist;
- Negligent drivers engaged in distracted driving, speeding or intoxicant use;
- Rear-end collisions involving a vehicle striking a slower or stopped bicyclist from behind or when a cyclist collides with a car who abruptly stops;
- Roadway defects such as potholes, foliage obstructing traffic signs or warnings, inadequate lane width, improper intersection designs or lack of a designated shoulder.
Bicycle Accidents and Injuries
Bicycle accidents are capable of causing significant injury to riders due to their lack of physical protection. A 2015 report by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) indicated that nearly 467,000 bicyclists were injured and over 1,000 suffered fatal injuries from traffic accidents. Data from 2010, the most recent year which comprehensive data is available, reported that bicycle injuries resulted in productivity losses and lifetime medical costs of 10 billion dollars. Below are the most common types of bicycle injuries:
- Dental Injuries: The teeth in the human body are used to help with digestion to break down foods into simpler forms for quick absorption by the body. Blunt force trauma from an impact with a vehicle, pavement or bike can cause dental injuries such as fractured teeth, displaced teeth or partial or complete loss of one or more teeth;
- Head Injuries: This can happen to anyone who rides a bicycle, despite helmet use. The extent of head damage can vary from concussions, edemas and skull fractures to life-changing traumas such as a traumatic brain injury. Symptoms of head trauma may not immediately present themselves following an accident. Therefore, it is essential to keep a list of symptoms such as fatigue, slurred speech, nausea, memory loss, headache, and confusion;
- Liver Damage: The liver is an essential organ with many functions in the body, including bile production, glycogen synthesis, manufacturing cholesterol and triglycerides and producing proteins. This organ is susceptible to damage in bicycle accidents when coming in direct contact with the hood, side mirrors or windshield of a motor vehicle;
- Spleen Injuries: The spleen is an abdominal organ responsible for the production, filtration, and removal of blood cells within the immune system and most vertebrates. A bicyclist is likely to suffer trauma to the spleen from falling on the pavement or contact with the bike’s handlebars. In specific instances, a spleen rupture can occur leading to significant blood loss or even death.
An injury from a bicycle accident could result in hefty medical bills, which shouldn’t come out of your pocket when the crash was caused by a negligent driver. If this has happened to you or a member of your family, it is essential to discuss your options with an experienced personal injury attorney in Turlock. A seasoned lawyer can assist you in filing a personal injury lawsuit against a negligent party for fair compensation of damages incurred.
Turlock Bicycle Accident Attorney
I’m Ed Smith, a Turlock bicycle accident attorney. Suffering injuries from a bicycle accident can lead to lost wages and mounting medical expenses and in some circumstances death. If you or a loved one has experienced this, you need the assistance of an experienced injury lawyer. Please feel free to contact me anytime at (209) 227-1931 or toll-free at (800) 404-5400 for free, friendly case advice.
Over the past 36 years, I have assisted residents of Turlock with bicycle and car accidents as well as cases involving dog bites, motorcycle collisions, and wrongful death.
Read how others feel about their experience working with us at:
I am a California member of the Million Dollar Advocates, a forum of trial lawyers who have obtained case verdicts or settlements in excess of 1 Million for a past clients.
For more information on prior cases we’ve resolved, check out our Verdicts and Settlements page.
Photograph Courtesy: By “jclk8888” via Pixabay
:ds bw [cs 880] cv