Train Accident Injures Pedestrian Near Downtown Lodi
I’m Ed Smith, a Lodi pedestrian accident lawyer. Personnel from the Lodi Fire and Police Department responded to a report of a train versus pedestrian incident along West Elm Street in downtown Lodi on July 13, 2018. At approximately 7:50 in the evening, a man was struck by a train in the area and was transported to a near by hospital for treatment of injuries described as severe. An update on the man’s condition has not yet been released by officials.
Identity of Victim
The victim injured in this train accident has not yet been identified. The victim is believed to be a 47-year-old man of Hispanic descent.
Similar Train Accident
This incident is said to be the second train accident involving a pedestrian within the last month in the downtown area. A 21-year-old male was hit by a train along East Pine Street on June 30, 2018. Sadly, that person passed away as a result of his severe injuries.
Train Accident Statistics
There were 11,699 total train accidents and incidents in 2017 according to data by the Federal Railroad Administration. Although a slight increase has been noted in nonfatal injuries in these accidents from 8,643 in 2016 to 8,646 in 2017, fatalities have grown significantly. In 2017, 831 parties passed away as a result of these accidents compared to 2016 with 757, accounting for an overall increase of 9.8 percent.
Common Causes of Train Accidents
Some of the common causes of train accidents involving pedestrians and motor vehicles include:
- Braking failures on trains
- Collapsed bridges
- Insufficient train and train track maintenance
- Negligence by train conductors, such as operator distraction or fatigue, excessive speed and failing to brake in time to avoid a collision
- Train derailments caused by roadbed and track malfunctions
- Vehicles becoming stuck at crossings due to defective gates or signals, or driver confusion in some instances
Injuries Commonly Seen in Train Accidents
Due to the speed and sheer size of a train, accident injuries can be serious. Below are some of the common injuries seen in train accidents:
- Bone Fractures: While bones of the body are built to withstand significant forces, they cannot hold themselves up against high-velocity impacts with trains and motor vehicles. Some of the most common types of bone fractures seen in accidents among pedestrians include femur fractures and humerus fractures;
- Head Injuries: When a pedestrian is hit by a train, their head could strike a hard surface due to the impact, like the side of the train or pavement. Head injuries may include concussions, skull fractures, cerebral hemorrhages or even traumatic brain injuries;
- Soft Tissue Injuries: Some areas of the body, such as the abdomen, remain unprotected by a bone support. In the event of an accident, internal organs are susceptible to sustaining serious damage.
How a Train Accident Attorney Can Help
Train accidents are capable of causing serious injuries to those involved, including bystanders and pedestrians. These accidents may occur as a train arrives or departs from a station as well as along railroad crossings. When these types of accidents happen, railroad companies are large corporations which often act quickly in order to mitigate their liability and pay out as little as possible for damages incurred. It is important to contact an experienced train accident lawyer in Lodi following a train accident as evidence and witness statements may fade over time. An attorney with years of experience can discuss your options, calculate damages and communicate effectively with insurance companies to obtain a fair recovery on your behalf.
Lodi Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
I’m Ed Smith, a Lodi pedestrian accident lawyer. Train accidents often leave victims and their families with devastating consequences. If you or a loved one have been injured or killed in an accident with a train or other vehicle, I am here to provide you compassionate, free and friendly advice. You may contact me any time at (209) 227-1931 or toll-free at (800) 404-5400.
Since 1982, I have helped many residents of Northern California, including Lodi, in retrieving fair compensation for claims of traumatic injury and in cases where a loved one was lost due to wrongful death.
Comments and ratings by our former clients and peers may be read on:
As a California member of the Million Dollar Advocates, I join other trial lawyers who have obtained million dollar awards through case verdicts and settlements for a client.
You are invited to browse a list of our prior cases and their results by visiting our Verdicts and Settlements page.
Image Attribution: By “StockSnap” via Pixabay under CC0 Creative Commons
:ds [cs 789] cv