Highway 12 Accident Involving Multiple Vehicles Causes Fatality
A traffic fatality was reported in Rio Vista on January 15 as a result of a six-vehicle accident. The multiple-vehicle collision occurred at about 9:00 a.m. along Highway 12 close to Highway 160, according to the Rio Vista Police Department. Emergency responders with the Rio Vista Fire Department and the Montezuma Fire Protection District responded to the accident.
Traffic Diverted While Accident Investigation Conducted
It was reported that one individual expired due to their injuries shortly after the collision occurred. Traffic was detoured while the accident scene was cleared and an investigation was conducted by responding police. Information was not forthcoming on injuries to others in the accident.
Wrongful Death in a Traffic Fatality Accident
When a traffic fatality occurs, the cause is often negligence committed by another driver or entity. This may be due to one of the following causes among others:
- A traffic fatality can occur due to a distracted driver. A motorist who is talking on a cell phone, texting or doing other activities isn’t focusing on the roadway and surrounding traffic.
- A drunk driver is often responsible for a traffic fatality. A driver who is inebriated cannot control their speed, weaves in their lane and cannot judge their distance from other vehicles.
- Speeding often leads to a traffic fatality accident. The speeding driver can lose control of their vehicle or cannot slow down in time to avoid a collision.
- A fatigued driver is almost as dangerous on the road as a drunk motorist. They can cause a traffic fatality by drifting over the line into another lane or by falling asleep at the wheel.
- Negligence by a government entity can lead to a traffic fatality. Potholes can cause a vehicle to crash into another car, poor lighting limits visibility and missing signage can lead a driver astray. The government entity can be held liable in these cases.
- Defective brakes, steering, or accelerator can lead to a serious or fatal traffic accident. The manufacturer, in these cases, can be held responsible by filing an auto product liability claim. Because a defective auto part can be the cause of a fatal or injury accident, retaining the vehicle is vital so it can be checked.
Losing a Loved One to Wrongful Death
Losing a loved one is always a traumatic experience, but when it was a traffic fatality caused by a negligent driver, it can be so much worse. The family members are not only left grieving and in shock but angry that it had to happen at all. They often want to feel a sense of closure and obtain justice for their family member’s death, and that can be accomplished by filing a wrongful death lawsuit. By filing, it holds the at-fault party responsible for the death they caused.
What Can Be Recovered in a Wrongful Death Lawsuit
Either the representative of the deceased’s estate or the members of the immediate family can file a wrongful death claim. Recovery of damages can include the following:
- Recovery of the cost of the funeral and burial is covered.
- Wages the decedent would have earned until retirement age, including bonuses, pension benefits and insurance can be recovered.
- Children in the family can place a claim for the loss of nurturing and guidance the deceased parent would have provided.
- The spouse can claim loss of consortium and emotional support that has now been lost.
- Loss of household services may be claimed, which refers to tasks the decedent normally performed at home.
- Loss of inheritance can be recovered, which the beneficiaries would have received had the person lived.
Wrongful Death Attorney in Rio Vista
I am Ed Smith, a Rio Vista wrongful death lawyer. When negligence by another driver leads to the death of a loved one, your family may wish to file a claim for wrongful death. Please contact us for our compassionate, free, and friendly advice at (707) 564-1900 or (800) 404-5400. You can also reach us online.
Discover how our team of injury lawyers has helped others at the following links:
:cd llo