Driver Trapped in Honda After Traffic Collision Near Exit Ramp on I-80
A traffic collision with major injuries on westbound Interstate 80 happened shortly after 2:00 p.m. on June 26. According to the California Highway Patrol (CHP), the crash happened east of the light rail station exit ramp in North Highlands. A black Honda hit the center divider and then blocked the adjacent two lanes. Sac Fire was needed to extricate the person in the vehicle. The impact damaged the guardrail, and Caltrans was advised that it needed to be replaced. The roads were closed for an additional time due to a fluid spill on the highway. Toxicology was also called in to see if drugs or alcohol were involved in the traffic collision. The individual in the Honda was taken to a local hospital for evaluation and treatment.
Highway Traffic Collisions
In California, numerous traffic collisions occur throughout the state. While there are multiple reasons for roadway accidents, driver error accounts for the greatest number. On occasion, several types of driver errors happen simultaneously, leading to a traffic collision. Here are some of the most common:
- Speeding: Of all causes of traffic collisions, speeding is the second most common. Many drivers drive above the speed limit every day. It is illegal to do this and is responsible for motorists losing control of their vehicles, making it harder to avoid a traffic collision. Since speeding leads to a high impact accident, the chance of a fatality is increased.
- Drunk driving: This another cause of roadway accidents, killing approximately 10,000 people nationwide annually. Drunk driving reduces a driver’s reaction time and makes it difficult for them to avoid hitting another vehicle or an obstacle in the road. Generally, the blood level that indicates drunk driving is 0.08. However, some people feel the effects of alcohol more strongly than others at a lower amount. This type of accident is preventable since a motorist can avoid alcohol before driving or use a designated driver.
- Inclement weather: This is a major cause of car accidents, especially in drought-ridden locations. When it finally rains, the grease on the road mixes with the rain and causes a slippery surface. This results in hydroplaning. In other cases, the wet surface leads to vehicles losing their ability to stop in time or maintain their lane. In some situations, it is the driver’s lack of car maintenance, such as poor tires or brakes that can lead to a traffic collision. Tire and brake defects due to poor design or workmanship can place the onus on the manufacturer.
- Reckless driving: A reckless driver take risks that lead to accidents such as aggressive driving or tailgating. Often, the reckless driver is not concerned with keeping the road safe.
- Wrong-way drivers: Whether a result of drunk driving or motorist confusion, wrong-way drivers take many lives. In the majority of instances, it is due to driver error. However, the design of the roadway can play a big role in this. In this case, the injured party can take the government agency in charge of roads to court to recoup damages.
Investigating an Accident
Our firm sends our investigators to the site of the accident as soon as possible. They interview witnesses and review police reports for errors. The investigators also obtain traffic surveillance camera footage of the accident, if possible. We also use accident reconstruction techniques to ascertain the positioning of the vehicles before, during, and after the traffic collision. Once all evidence at the scene is compiled, our lawyers use it to build a strong case for our clients.
Sacramento Car Accident Lawyer
I am Ed Smith, a Sacramento car accident lawyer. I am here to help you when you need me. Just call (916) 921-6400 or (800) 404-5400 for free and friendly advice. You can also reach me online if it is more convenient for you.
I am proud to belong to the following organizations in addition to many others:
Learn more about me and my practice by looking at the following pages:
Photo Attribution: https://pixabay.com/photos/crash-car-car-crash-accident-1308575/
:cd llo [cs 717]