Pedestrian Killed in Jackson Road Traffic Collision
A pedestrian died in a traffic collision near Sloughhouse on December 19. The fatal accident occurred along Jackson Road and Sunrise Boulevard around 5:30 a.m. during the morning commute. The California Highway Patrol (CHP) reported that the driver of a Toyota Tacoma was in the lane going eastbound when the pedestrian stepped into the lane and was struck.
Authorities State Traffic Collision Was Unavoidable
Authorities say the driver couldn’t have avoided the accident with the pedestrian. The Toyota pickup sustained damage in its front end, and the driver suffered minor injuries.
The coroner’s office has identified the deceased as 31-year-old Stockton resident Oscar Armando Monreal. A GoFundMe page has been created on behalf of the Monreal family to assist with final resting service expenses.
Driver Remains at Scene of Fatal Traffic Collision
The pickup driver remained at the accident scene and cooperated with investigators. Neither drugs nor alcohol is suspected as being a factor in the cause of the collision.
Driver Negligence That Causes a Pedestrian Traffic Collision
There are many ways in which a driver can be negligent and cause an accident involving a pedestrian. Following are a few of them:
- Speed: Speeding is one of the major factors contributing to pedestrian injuries and fatalities. A pedestrian fatality is more likely to occur when a vehicle is traveling at a faster speed. According to the American Automobile Association, 10 percent of pedestrians will die when they are struck by a vehicle going 23 mph. However, if the vehicle is traveling at 58 mph, 90 percent of pedestrians will be killed.
- Traffic distractions: It is more likely that pedestrians will be fatally struck by cars when drivers are distracted by their cell phones, passengers or other sources. Pedestrians in the crosswalk may not be seen by inattentive drivers in time to avoid an accident.
- Drunk driving: Driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs increases the risk of pedestrian fatalities. The impaired judgment and reaction time of these drivers may make it more difficult for them to avoid a crash.
Recovering Compensation by Filing a Wrongful Death Claim
When a loved one dies in a pedestrian accident, it is the worst feeling in the world. It’s tough to cope with the shock of a sudden loss, but the financial burden of funerals, burials, and other expenses can make things worse. When a driver’s negligence causes the death of a loved one, the family may want to find out about filing a wrongful death claim. Recovery of damages can include:
- Expenses for the funeral and burial
- Wages, insurance and benefits until retirement age
- Loss of consortium, love and affection the decedent provided to the spouse
- Loss of inheritance
- Loss of guidance and nurturing provided to the family’s children
- Loss of household services
Sacramento Car Accident Lawyer
I’m Ed Smith, and I am a Sacramento car accident lawyer. Car accidents often result in severe injuries or fatalities when pedestrians are involved. When the cause of the injury or death was due to negligence on the part of the driver, the family may be able to recover compensation by filing a wrongful death claim. You can reach us at (916) 921-6400 for free and friendly assistance regarding your case. We are also available by phone at (800) 404-5400 or by reaching out to us online.
Our law firm is proud to be a member of the following organizations:
Here are some links you can use to find out more about our injury lawyers‘ success:
:cd llo ds