Arrest Made in Hit-and-Run Fatality Accident on West Stockton Boulevard
A DUI suspect, age 54, was arrested in Elk Grove following a hit-and-run pedestrian fatality accident on November 23. The collision was reported to the Elk Grove Police Department at about 5:15 a.m. at the intersection of West Stockton Boulevard at Whitelock Parkway. Investigators in the accident examined traffic surveillance cameras as well as those at the nearby Auto Mall and identified what they believe was the vehicle that struck the pedestrian and fled the scene.
Fleeing Driver Suspected of Impaired Driving
The vehicle was found with the damaged area covered up after the fatality accident, and the man arrested, according to police, displayed signs of impairment. He was booked on suspicion of DUI and hit-and-run causing death. An active warrant for the man’s arrest was reportedly out for a previous charge of driving while under the influence of a drug. The driver is not eligible for bail due to a parole violation. Until the family is notified, the name of the deceased pedestrian will not be released.
Traffic Accidents Caused by Drunk Driving
As reported by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, 28 people die every day in drunk driving accidents. Although police presence is strong and education efforts are made to prevent people from driving drunk, California still has a problem with intoxicated drivers. The consequences of drunk driving include serious injuries or even death if you get behind the wheel of a car while impaired by alcohol. Drivers are affected by alcohol in the following ways:
- Even though alcohol levels of even 0.02 are far below the legal limit of 0.08 for drunk driving, a driver’s vision and multitasking abilities can be adversely affected.
- If a driver’s blood-alcohol level is 0.05, they will have trouble seeing, their coordination will be impaired and they will have problems steering.
- When a driver has a blood alcohol level of 0.08, he or she is legally drunk and unable to process information, concentrate and control the speed of their vehicle.
- After the blood level reaches 0.10, the driver is unable to control the vehicle or react appropriately, and they are unable to brake properly and stay on the road.
- Blood-alcohol levels of 0.15 will cause balance problems, vomiting, muscle weakness, vision and hearing problems in people.
Obtaining Evidence to Support an Injury or Fatality Accident Claim
It is possible to use a drunk driving conviction as persuasive evidence in a wrongful death claim for the loss of a loved one following a pedestrian fatality accident. The injury attorney also gathers evidence in support of the client’s claim, including:
- Errors in the police accident report can prevent compensation from being awarded in drunk driving cases.
- The traffic cameras in the area may have captured the accident on tape.
- Witnesses are interviewed.
- A reconstruction of an accident is carried out by investigators
Wrongful Death Lawyer in Elk Grove
I’m Ed Smith, an wrongful death lawyer in Elk Grove. The family who has lost a loved one due to a negligent driver may be able to file a claim for wrongful death. If this happened to your family, please contact us at 916-694-0002 for free and friendly advice. You can also access our toll-free number at (800) 404-5400, or connect with us online.
Comments and reviews from former clients about how our injury lawyers have helped others can be found on Yelp, Avvo, and Google Plus. Some of the accident cases we have handled can also be found at Verdicts and Settlements on our website.
:cd llo