Fatal Accident Reported at the I-5/CA 170 Interchange
A big rig crash with a van in Sun Valley recently caused two fatalities. The accident occurred along southbound Interstate 5, where it connects with California 170, shortly after 5:00 a.m. when the big rig crashed with a disabled van stuck in the lanes, according to the incident log by the California Highway Patrol (CHP). A fire resulted from the collision, and firefighters were called to the scene to extinguish the blazing van.
Traffic Backed Up for Hours Following Big Rig Crash
Traffic along southbound Interstate 5 backed up for a long distance as crews cleared the wreckage. A SigAlert was issued and commuters were diverted onto the southbound 170. Lanes reopened before 11:00 a.m. A CHP investigation is underway to determine the cause of the accident.
Losing a Loved One in a Traffic Accident
When a loved one passes away in an accident, there can be many questions and uncertainties. You may not feel like you have anywhere to turn in the wake of such a tragedy. But you may be able to seek financial compensation through a wrongful death claim.
Filing a Wrongful Death Claim
A wrongful death claim is a legal action brought against the party responsible for another person’s death in a big rig crash. This type of claim is often filed by survivors of the deceased such as family members. It allows them to seek compensation for the loss of their loved one and other damages. Although it will not ease the grief of losing a loved one, it can hold the at-fault party financially responsible and help give family members a sense of justice for their loss.
Wrongful Death Claims in a California Big Rig Crash
In California, the surviving family members of a person who has died due to the wrongful conduct of another in a big rig crash may be eligible for several forms of recoverable compensation. These include:
- Funeral and burial costs: The estate or the family of the deceased may be able to recover reasonable and necessary costs associated with funeral and burial services.
- Loss of wages/loss of potential earnings: If the deceased was employed at the time of their death, their survivors may be able to recover the wages the deceased would have earned had they lived.
- Loss of benefits: If the decedent was receiving any type of benefit from their employment, that may be recoverable by the survivors. This includes such benefits as health insurance, life insurance proceeds, retirement benefits and more.
- Loss of love, support and companionship: The survivors may also be able to recover compensation for the emotional losses that come with a death due to wrongful conduct. This includes compensation for the loss of consortium, support and companionship that would have been provided by the decedent had they still been alive.
- Punitive damages: In cases where the wrongful conduct was especially egregious, a court may award punitive damages to the survivors in addition to any other types of compensation. These damages are designed to punish and deter similar actions in the future.
In order to be successful in recovering these forms of compensation, it is important to consult with an experienced accident attorney who can evaluate the case and advise on the best course of action. A knowledgeable attorney will be able to pursue the maximum amount of compensation available in order to ensure that the survivors are adequately compensated for their losses.
California Truck Accident Attorney
I am Ed Smith, a California truck accident lawyer. Collisions with big rigs often result in fatalities to those in smaller vehicles. For our free and friendly advice on whether you can file a wrongful death claim if your loved one died as a result of a negligent truck driver, call us at (916) 921-6400 or (800) 404-5400. Alternatively, you can contact us online.
Efforts by our personal injury lawyers to ensure our clients receive fair compensation have led us to be members of the following associations:
Our past experiences with truck accidents are listed below:
Photo attribution: Image by Myriams-Fotos from Pixabay
:cd llo