Stockton Motorcycle Accident Involving Traffic Pole
A major road was shut down on the night of March 10 due to a Stockton motorcycle accident involving a traffic pole. The incident occurred along March Lane in the vicinity of Precissi Lane shortly after 10:00 p.m. Officers responding to the scene found a damaged traffic light pole, motorcycle, and vehicle. The area was closed as officials investigated the scene and crews cleaned up. The motorcycle rider and driver of the car were both taken to the hospital for treatment of unknown injuries. An update regarding their conditions was not immediately available.
Common Reasons for Motorcycle Accidents
Motorcycle riders face many dangers and challenges on the road. This is due to their lack of conspicuity. Following are the common reasons for motorcycle accidents:
- Defective Motorcycles: The manufacturer of a defective motorcycle part or poorly designed bike may be held financially responsible for any damages resulting from the use of the faulty product.
- Inexperienced Motorists: Drivers with insufficient experience are likely to make unsafe driving judgments. This can compromise the safety of others on the road.
- Lane Splitting: This often occurs in slow or stopped traffic as a biker passes between rows of vehicles. Since motorcyclists have little room to maneuver and drivers sometimes do not expect a biker to be lane splitting, this can result in an accident.
- Left Turn Collisions: Misjudgments of distance and right-of-way errors while making a left turn are common reasons for traumatic or fatal injuries to motorcyclists.
- Road Defects: Dangerous road conditions such as debris, potholes, crumbling pavement, and lack of roadway signage can cause a motorcycle rider to lose control of their bike. The government entity in charge of maintaining the roadway which the crash occurred on may be held financially responsible for a road defect. Keep in mind that a claim must be filed within 6 months or 180 days from the date of the incident to recover damages.
- Speeding: This is a leading cause of all types of traffic collisions. This reduces a driver’s ability to react in time to avoid a collision.
- Sudden Stops: An abrupt stop or following too closely can cause a rear-end accident. Any of these situations can result in severe injury or death to a biker.
- Vehicle Doors: Motorcycle crashes sometimes happen when an occupant of a parked vehicle opens the door in the path of an oncoming biker.
- Unsafe Lane Changes: When a driver fails to check their blind spot or use their signal when switching lanes, a driver runs the risk of colliding with a motorcycle rider.
Common Motorcycle Accident Injuries
Motorcycle accidents often result in devastating consequences due to a biker’s lack of physical protection. These may include bone fractures, spinal cord injuries, brain injuries, cervical sprain, and road rash. Any injury from a motorcycle crash can require extensive medical treatment. This means the injured biker is likely unable to perform their duties within their course of employment and will start losing wages. This can create financial concerns for the rider and their family, especially if he or she is the primary provider for the household.
Determining Fault in a Motorcycle Accident
A motorcycle rider can sometimes share liability for a collision with a motor vehicle. Examples include when the biker is driving impaired or speeding. In these cases, fault may be apportioned between the motorist and the motorcyclist for the crash. Since California operates under a system of comparative fault, this means the amount of compensation each party would receive would be reduced by the percentage of negligence attributed to them. To learn how liability is decided in a motorcycle crash, watch the below video.
Assistance from an Experienced Stockton Personal Injury Attorney
Most motorcycle injuries are caused by motorist error. A Stockton personal injury attorney who is experienced in handling motorcycle accident cases can help the injured party and their family claim the compensation they need to cover their damages. Since motorcycle collisions can be complex and liability is often disputed, the attorney can use expert witnesses and crash reconstructionists to establish fault in the incident.
Stockton Personal Injury Lawyer
I’m Ed Smith, a Stockton personal injury lawyer. Motorcycle accidents are often caused by the negligent behavior of someone else. These collisions can cause serious injuries or death for motorcyclists involved. If a motorcycle accident caused by the fault of another driver or entity has left you or your loved one with serious injuries, I have free, friendly legal advice to offer. Please give me a call anytime at (209) 227-1931 or toll-free at (800) 404-5400.
Ratings and comments by our former clients may be found at:
I am honored to belong to the National Association of Distinguished Counsel, an organization which invites only attorneys they believe uphold the highest standards of legal excellence. I also belong to the Million Dollar Advocates, a forum composed of trial lawyers who have obtained $1 million or more for a client.
A selection of our past cases and their results are available for your review on our Verdicts and Settlements page.
Stockton Motorcycle Accident Involving Traffic Pole: AutoAccident.com
Image :ab / Stockton Motorcycle Accident Involving Traffic Pole
:ds [cs 871]