Speeding Cited as Factor in Hwy 50 Crash
I’m Ed Smith, a car accident and personal injury lawyer in Sacramento. An overturned SUV was in the left lane of westbound US 50 following a collision on April 29. According to a report by the California Highway Patrol (CHP), three vehicles were determined to be speeding over 90 mph when the collision occurred, which resulted in injuries.
The crash happened shortly before 2:30 in the afternoon along US 50 just west of State Route 99 and involved the SUV, a silver Mazda, and another unidentified vehicle. An ambulance was summoned for unknown injuries caused by the crash. The reason for the accident is being investigated by the CHP to assign fault.
Speeding Increases Accident Risk
Multiple vehicle accidents are common along interstates. However, speeding increases the likelihood of severe injuries, particularly when all the vehicles involved are traveling well above the speed limit. According to the National Highway Transportation Safety Administration, there were more than 10,000 fatalities in 2016 attributed to speeding around the country. This represented more than 27 percent of all the traffic fatalities nationwide. In addition to speeding, it was found that among the deaths, 50 percent of the vehicle occupants were not wearing seatbelts.
Speeders Around Sacramento
Sacramento held the number two spot out of 15 similarly sized California cities in 2015 for the number of speeders who were involved in collisions. There were 1,179 speeders involved in crashes causing fatalities or injuries out of a total of 4,502 accidents. The county itself ranked first in serious injuries and casualties in crashes where speeding was a factor. Out of 11,710 accident fatalities and injuries, 2,923 involved speeding, ranking Sacramento County first of all the counties in the state.
Danger of Rollover
Speeding not only increases the possibility of an accident but has been found to contribute to rollovers. While the type of vehicle being driven also contributes to a rollover, according to the NHTSA, 40 percent were caused by speeding. Three-quarters of the fatalities happen along roads with a 55 mph or higher speed limit. Drunk driving also contributes to the incidence of rollover, with 50 percent showing that the driver had been drinking, although not necessarily at the 0.08 limit.
One thing that accidents caused by speeding and rollovers have in common is the severity of injuries incurred. This is where a personal injury lawyer can help by obtaining fair compensation to pay your expenses. Following are some of the expenses that can be covered by a personal injury:
- Medical costs can include not only hospitalization and doctors’ visits but additional costs such as medical tests, prescriptions, trips to and from the doctor and rehabilitation.
- Future medical expenses and lost time from work are included if the injury is ongoing and is not expected to resolve for a period of time.
- Lost earning capacity is recoverable if it can be shown that the injured party can no longer do his/her job.
- Pain and suffering refer to the damage caused to personal relationships within the family such as loss of consortium, companionship, and society. It also includes emotional suffering as well as physical pain.
- Lost wages are included, which means what the individual would have received as a salary, plus any bonuses or other monies that the person would typically have earned.
- The loss of household services means that the individual cannot perform duties he or she usually performed around the home. This may mean lawn care, child care, cooking, cleaning, etc.
Car Accident and Personal Injury Lawyer in Sacramento
I’m Ed Smith, a car accident and personal injury lawyer in Sacramento. Negligent drivers cause many injuries and deaths each year. If you or your family member was hurt or you lost a loved one, an experienced injury lawyer can help you recover fair compensation. For free and friendly advice about your case, give me a call locally at (916) 921-6400 or phone (800) 404-5400 outside the area.
For more than 36 years, I have assisted Sacramento residents with recovering compensation in cases such as traumatic brain injuries and wrongful deaths.
I am a Million Dollar Forum member. This nationwide group is reserved for trial attorneys who have won verdicts and settled cases for clients in the amount of $1 million.
Learning about a law firm is essential when looking for legal representation. The following links will give you information about my practice and how I resolved cases:
Photo Attribution: https://pixabay.com/en/street-sign-highway-travel-71397/
: cd bw [cs 794] cv