Fatal Crash Occurs When Vehicle Exits Pioneer Trail
A fatal crash in South Lake Tahoe was reported by authorities on September 11. According to the incident report by the California Highway Patrol (CHP), the accident happened just before 7:00 p.m. at Pioneer and Golden Lake trails when the vehicle went off the roadway for unknown reasons and rolled over into a tree. The driver died in the collision.
Cause of Fatal Crash Under Investigation by Authorities
The CHP is conducting an investigation into the fatal wreck to determine how it occurred. The name of the deceased will not be released by the coroner’s office until family members have been notified.
Loss of a Loved One in a Traffic Accident
Losing a loved one suddenly often leaves the family in deep grief and wondering why it happened. By filing a wrongful death claim if negligence that led to the fatal crash is discovered, they can get justice for their loved one and a sense of peace.
What Can Be Recovered in a Wrongful Death Claim
A wrongful death claim can result in the recovery of economic and non-economic damages. Economic damages have a monetary value such as wages, while non-economic compensation is intangible and a value is assigned to them. Damages awarded to the family include:
- Costs associated with the burial and funeral services
- The deceased person’s wages until their age of retirement, including other perks of the job such as bonuses and insurance and pension benefits
- Loss of inheritance, which is what the decedent’s beneficiaries would have received had the person lived
- Compensation for the spouse who lost the companionship, social interaction and consortium of the deceased
- The loss of a parent leaves the family children without guidance, advice and nurturing from the decedent, and they can receive monetary compensation
- Contribution to household help such as auto care, cleaning, household maintenance, tax preparation and other activities normally performed by the decedent can be recovered
- Compensation for the suffering and grief experienced by the family due to their loss
What Family Members Are Entitled to File Wrongful Death Claims?
In California, there are several ways to file a claim for wrongful death. However, only one claim may be placed. The spouse and children of the decedent may file a claim. This includes natural and adopted children as well as those to whom the deceased person provided at least half of their support. Parents who were supported by the deceased may also file. Alternatively, the administrator of the deceased’s estate may file. Generally, the estate administrator and family members decide among themselves who will place the claim.
How a Wrongful Death Lawyer Can Help
Your accident attorney will gather the evidence in the case to support a claim for wrongful death. In addition, he/she can compile the losses the family suffered and handle the negotiations with the at-fault party’s insurance company. If the insurance company refuses to pay a fair amount to the family, the lawyer can take the case to civil court to recover damages. Insurance companies generally don’t like to go that route because of the bad publicity, so this is a rare occurrence.
Wrongful Death Lawyer in South Lake Tahoe
I’m Ed Smith, a wrongful death lawyer in South Lake Tahoe. If your family’s loved one died because of someone else’s negligent actions, you might be able to recover damages. Although it won’t ease the heartbreak you feel, it can give the family a sense of justice and help them move forward without financial stress. Contact us at (530) 392-9400 or (800) 404-5400 if you would like our free and friendly advice on whether you can file a claim. You can reach us online also.
You can find out how others have been helped by our injury lawyers in recovering fair compensation below:
:cd  bw