Single Vehicle Fatality on Interstate 80 in Davis
A single vehicle fatality occurred near Davis following a December 26 accident along Interstate 80. When police received a report of a driver acting oddly along the highway, they went to check it out near the intersection with County Road 32A and attempted to stop the vehicle. The driver sped up until he crashed near Davis, east of the onramp for Mace Road. According to the information released by the California Highway Patrol (CHP), the man, identified as Lionel John Daniel, age 85 and a resident of Sacramento, suffered major injuries and died at the accident site. At the time of the collision, the man was not using seat restraints.
I want to extend my heartfelt sympathy and prayers to the friends and family of Mr. Daniel in their time of loss and sorrow.
Details of the Single Vehicle Fatality
The CHP received reports of a green Ford minivan being involved in a hit-and-run accident along West U.S. 50 at the entrance to Interstate 80 at around 2:00 in the afternoon. The people who reported the incident and who were following behind the Ford stated that the driver was swerving all over the road between the lanes and into the center divide. This erratic driving was reportedly done while the man was driving at around 25 mph. The CHP is conducting an investigation into the single vehicle fatality and would like anyone that might have information to phone them at their office in Woodland at (530) 662-4685. It has not been determined whether drugs, alcohol or a medical problem was a factor in the crash.
Incidence of Crashes Involving a Single Vehicle Fatality
In single vehicle accidents in California during 2016, 2,063 involved fatalities, according to the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety. In 587 of those fatalities, seat belts were not used. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention reports that fatal crashes are increasing among drivers aged 70 to 74. The highest rate of fatalities from car accidents is among drivers who are 85 and over in age. This is because older Americans are more susceptible to accident injuries and complications.
Accidents and Older Drivers
Reasons that older drivers may have an accident are:
- Medications and driving: Older motorists are often taking medications that do not combine well with driving. If they are still getting behind the wheel of a car, it is important that the physician either warn them of potential hazards of driving or switch them to another medication.
- Cognitive decline: Some older drivers may lose the ability to handle a vehicle, perceive dangers on the road or react quickly.
- Medical problems: Sleep apnea can contribute to a single vehicle fatality because the driver is overly tired and does not realize it.
- Less practice: Older drivers go out on the road much less than younger ones. This lack of practice may mean they are more likely to be involved in an accident.
- Poor eyesight: Although a common problem with many drivers, some people do not realize they need eyeglass or a change in prescription.
- Memory loss: Loss of memory can come on slowly, and family members may not realize that their loved one is a danger behind the wheel of a car.
Consulting With an Experienced Personal Injury Lawyer
Not all accidents involving older drivers are their fault. Mechanical defects in a car, being on the wrong medication and other factors may contribute to a single vehicle fatality. An experienced lawyer can review the case, and tell you what your options are to recover financial damages in the loss of your loved one.
Davis Wrongful Death Lawyer
I’m Ed Smith, a Davis wrongful death lawyer. Losing a loved one in an accident is a heartbreaking experience. However, when negligence contributed to that loss, it amplifies feelings of grief and anger. If you lost a loved one in an accident caused by negligence, please call me for free and friendly advice at (530) 392-9400, or reach me at (800) 404-5400 from elsewhere in Northern California. An online contact form is available at AutoAccident.com for your use if it is more convenient.
For 36 years, I’ve represented the residents of Davis and surrounding areas in Northern California in obtaining fair compensation for their personal injuries. Some of the areas I work in include all types of motor vehicle accidents, traumas such as brain injuries and motorcycle crashes.
It is a difficult decision deciding which personal injury lawyer to phone when you’ve been injured and have questions. This is why I provide the following links to my clients’ reviews and some of the cases we have handled.
Million Dollar Forum was formed to represent the trial lawyers in the country who have obtained more than $1 million through either a settlement or a verdict for a client. I’m a California member of this forum.
Photo Attribution: https://pixabay.com/en/ambulance-rescue-emergency-118-2901017/
:cd llo [cs 828] cv