Single Vehicle Crash on Cap City Freeway
I’m Ed Smith, a Sacramento wrongful death lawyer. A recent accident claimed a life when a vehicle traveling north on Business 80 was involved in a collision. The car reportedly went airborne and crashed down 15 feet onto Arden Way, narrowly missing other vehicles. The collision caused a power pole to dangle dangerously by its wires over the Cap City Freeway. The danger from the pole and vehicle required the closure of multiple lanes and an on-ramp while authorities waited for a crew to make repairs. I would like to offer my sympathy to the family and friends of the decedent.
The crash occurred at about 3:30 in the morning when, for some unknown reason, a driver in an unidentified vehicle veered across the road and struck the center divide along Business 80, according to the California Highway Patrol (CHP). The vehicle then struck a pole and ended up going off the freeway near the old Wonder Bread factory, landing under the overpass on its roof. The landing allegedly caused the car to fold in half. No one else was in the vehicle at the time of the collision. The name of the 58-year-old driver has been released by authorities as Arthur Johnson.
Why Do Single Vehicle Crashes Happen?
There are several reasons for single vehicle crashes:
- Hitting an object in the road is a common reason for single vehicle crashes. The object can be road debris or an animal. The driver often will attempt to avoid the object and veer off the road or hit the entity, causing the vehicle to go off road.
- Impaired drivers often fall asleep. When this happens, they lose control of the vehicle, enabling a single vehicle crash into another structure.
- Drowsy driving is responsible for many single vehicle crashes. The driver dozes off and veers off the roadway or crashes into another vehicle.
- Driving distracted and taking your focus off the road, even for a short period, can end in a single vehicle crash. This happens when drivers text, play with the radio or reach for something that has fallen to the floor within the vehicle.
- Slick roads can make it difficult to drive safely, particularly at higher speeds. Slowing down during inclement weather conditions can help avoid single vehicle crashes.
- Speeding leads to loss of control in any situation. Even if roadway conditions or a lost animal impedes the journey, driving at a slower speed can allow the driver to avoid an accident.
Non-Driver Error Reasons for Single Vehicle Crashes
There are other factors that can cause a single vehicle crash and result in a wrongful death. They have nothing to do with driver error.
- Brake failure, tire defects or other mechanical issues can result in an accident or cause a wrongful death. In such cases, the manufacturer of the auto part may be held liable for the crash and subsequent deaths.
- A crash can be due to the failure of a mechanic to supply appropriate maintenance or to fix a problem. In such cases, the mechanic may be liable for the accident or a fatality.
- When another vehicle causes the car’s operator to swerve and this action results in a crash, the other driver may be held liable for the accident.
- An occupant in the vehicle other than the driver can hold the operator liable for their injuries.
- Roads that are poorly maintained are a common factor in single vehicle crashes. Local and state agencies are usually responsible for maintaining roads. They are also mandated to make sure roadway signage is visible and marks particularly dangerous conditions such as sharp turns. When this is not done, single vehicle accidents can result.
- Drivers who disobey traffic laws can cause unsafe driving conditions, which are sources of single vehicle crashes and fatalities.
Sacramento Wrongful Death Lawyer
I’m Ed Smith, a Sacramento wrongful death lawyer. If a member of your family has been killed in a single vehicle crash through no fault of their own, having legal assistance is essential. Reach out to me at (916) 921-6400 or toll free at (800) 404-5400 for friendly and free advice.
I’ve helped Sacramento residents in wrongful death claims as well as all types of accidents for over 36 years as an injury lawyer.
You might want to find previous client reviews and information on the way other cases were resolved. If so, click on any of the following links:
I am a California member of the Million Dollar Forum, a nationwide, legal advocates group whose members have won $1 million for their clients.
Photo Attribution: https://pixabay.com/en/crash-car-car-crash-accident-1308575/
:cd ds [cs 793] cv