Sacramento Traumatic Bicycle Injury
Sacramento Traumatic Bicycle Injury – A traumatic bicycle injury occurs when the rider is in a collision with a motor vehicle. Other reasons may include falls, problems with the road, error on the part of the rider and crashes with an object. Because of the lack of protection afforded a bicycle rider, serious injuries can occur. Learn about the types of injuries that can occur when a bicycle accident happens.
Bicycle Accidents Resulting in Injuries or Fatalities
According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, in 2016, bicycle crashes with motor vehicles accounted for 2.2 percent of fatalities and countless injuries. This is because many injuries to bicycle riders are either not reported or the bicyclist seeks private care instead of heading to the emergency room. In 2015, the California Office of Traffic Safety reported 231 fatalities and injuries to Sacramento bicyclists. This placed Sacramento as sixth among 15 similarly sized California cities. Some of these accidents resulted in a Sacramento traumatic bicycle injury. Throughout Sacramento County, there were 620 bicyclist injuries and deaths, which placed the county as 11th out of the total of 58 counties.
Types of Traumatic Bicycle Injuries
Numerous injuries can occur due to a traumatic bicycle injury. The most common types of collisions are those where a driver turns directly in front of a rider or runs through a red light. Right-turning drivers also turn in front of bicyclists who are waiting in the bike lane. Any of these accidents can result in the following injuries;
- Fractured bones: Bones in the upper and lower extremities are commonly fractured in a bicycle/motor vehicle collision. While some heal quickly, others may require surgery to repair.
- Neck injuries: Muscles, tendons, nerves, and vertebrae in the neck are often injured in all types of car accidents, whether to bicyclists, motorists or motorcycle riders. While many of these heal with care and rest, others may cause persistent pain, headaches and other symptoms.
- Road rash: While this kind of injury may sound minor, it can cause infections and serious damage to the skin.
- Traumatic brain injury: One of the most serious injuries that can occur as a traumatic bicycle injury, a TBI can range from a concussion to hemorrhage or splinters of bone that enter the cranial cavity. The most serious of these types of injuries can require lifetime care or result in a fatality.
- Spinal cord trauma: Any injury to the spinal cord can be serious, especially if vertebrae are fractured or severed, causing permanent or partial paralysis.
- Hand injuries: Injuries to the hand can cause multiple broken bones, torn ligaments and other damage, which can affect the rider’s ability to use them in the future.
- Amputation: Loss of a body part such as an arm, leg, toe or finger occurs in a traumatic bicycle injury.
Sacramento Bicycle Accident Lawyers
I’m Ed Smith, a Sacramento Bicycle Accident Lawyer. Negligent motorists cause many bicyclist accident injuries every year. However, in many cases, fair compensation can be claimed, which can pay for time away from work, medical expenses and your pain and suffering. I am here to offer free and friendly advice when you call me at (916) 921-6400 or (800) 404-5400. We also offer an online contact form for your convenience, and I will get back to you promptly.
I am a long-time member of the Million Dollar Forum, a group established for top trial lawyers in the country who have demonstrated a client settlement or verdict in excess of $1 million.
In my career of more than 36 years as an injury lawyer, it has been my honor to have represented many people from Sacramento in order to obtain compensation after an accident. Some of the areas I work in include traumatic brain injury, all types of car accidents and wrongful death cases.
Find out more about my law practice by visiting the following sites to see client reviews and some of the cases I have handled in the past:
Sacramento Traumatic Bicycle Injury: AutoAccident.com
Photo Attribution: Depositphotos_75430743_l-2015 / Sacramento Traumatic Bicycle Injury.
:cd cha [cs 685] cv