Eastbound Interstate 80 Site of Multiple-Vehicle Accident
A multiple-vehicle accident happened in Sacramento on January 10 along eastbound Interstate 80 that caused minor injuries. Sacramento Fire emergency responders and the California Highway Patrol (CHP) were called to the accident scene around 4:19 pm just west of Interstate 5. When they arrived, it was discovered that a Dodge Ram 4X4 had caused a collision involving a Honda Accord, Mitsubishi, and Toyota sedan. One of the vehicles was found on top of another. The two left lanes of the highway were blocked with traffic backing up as far as the river. A SigAlert was issued to warn motorists to seek an alternate route. At least two of the vehicles had to be towed from the crash site. The CHP is investigating to see how the multiple-vehicle accident occurred.
Injuries in a Multiple-Vehicle Accident
Injuries can be more severe in an accident involving multiple vehicles. This is because a vehicle may be struck numerous times from different directions. In addition, because the airbag goes off with the first impact, it does not provide protection once it deflates. Airbags take around 30 milliseconds to inflate and a matter of seconds before they deflate. This exposes the passenger or driver of the vehicle to injury caused by additional impacts by other vehicles. Some injuries that can occur following a multiple-vehicle accident include:
- Traumatic brain injuries can range from a concussion to hemorrhage, swelling, or worse. Brain injuries that are more serious may result in coma or death. Others may mean that the individual is no longer able to function and requires around-the-clock care.
- Abdominal injuries can include hemorrhage or damage to the organs. These injuries do not always appear right away but may be delayed. Abdominal injuries often require emergency surgery to repair. Hospitalization and rehabilitation depend on the type and extent of the damage.
- Spinal cord damage happens when the spine is partially or completely severed. This results in partial or complete paralysis. The extent depends on where the damage occurred but can lead to severe disability.
- Burn injuries occur in some multiple-vehicle accidents and are caused by leaking fuel. Burn injuries may range from mild to serious. Burns can result in disfigurement, multiple surgeries, and extensive hospitalization.
- Chest injuries are common and can be caused by the seat restraints or from striking the dash or steering wheel. Common chest injuries include bruising, fractured ribs, a punctured lung, or heart damage.
How a Personal Injury Lawyer Helps
In accidents that involve multiple vehicles, drivers often obtain the help of a personal injury lawyer to protect their interests. Otherwise, they might have problems receiving the compensation they deserve after suffering an injury. Our investigators head to the site of the crash right away to obtain the evidence needed to support your claim. They check the police report for inaccuracies and interview witnesses. In addition, they perform accident reconstruction and check nearby traffic surveillance cameras and local businesses looking for video footage. When the evidence is gathered, it is given to our lawyers who use it to substantiate your claim with the insurance company or prepare a court case.
Sacramento Car Accident Lawyer
I’m Ed Smith, a Sacramento car accident lawyer. Multiple-vehicle accidents can result in severe injuries, and you need an experienced lawyer by your side to help you obtain the compensation you deserve. Call me at (916) 921-6400 for my free and friendly advice. You can also message me on my website, AutoAccident.com, or call toll-free at (800) 404-5400.
During my 37 years working as an injury lawyer, I’ve assisted many people in obtaining fair compensation for their injuries. Whether it is a wrongful death, traffic accident, or traumas such as brain injuries, I work hard to get my clients the compensation they deserve.
Look over client reviews of my law firm as well as cases we have handled at:
It is a great honor for me to belong to the following:
Photo Attribution: Depositphotos_33164727_l-2015
:cd llo [cs 686]