Motorcyclist Killed in Sacramento Traffic Crash
A motorcyclist fatality was reported in Sacramento on September 17 after the rider’s bike collided with a truck. The collision happened at about 1:00 p.m. around Riverside Boulevard at the intersection with Swanston Drive. Officers with the Sacramento Police Department responded to the call and discovered the motorcyclist had suffered serious injuries. The motorcyclist was pronounced deceased at the accident scene later. The truck driver stayed at the scene and cooperated with investigators into the cause of the fatal accident.
Causes of a Motorcyclist Fatality
Motorcycle riders are vulnerable to serious injuries and a much higher risk of fatalities when involved in a crash with a motor vehicle. The lack of protection against a larger vehicle and inherent instability because a motorcycle only has two wheels are reasons why the incidence of injuries and fatalities are 28 times higher than those in passenger vehicles. In many cases, the motorist is at fault due to some of the reasons that follow:
- A driver making a turn in front of an approaching bike is the main reason for a motorcyclist’s fatality caused by a passenger vehicle. In some cases, the motorist realizes the motorcycle is headed their way, but the driver thinks they are further and traveling at a slower speed. In others, the passenger vehicle driver says they never saw the motorcycle.
- Rear-ending a rider can lead to a motorcyclist fatality. Drivers who are distracted by texting, eating, or drinking while in the car and for other reasons can cause a serious motorcycle accident.
- Stopping short in front of a motorcycle rider can cause serious injuries or a fatality. This type of accident often ejects the rider from their bike, resulting in traumatic brain injuries or the death of the rider.
- Speeding can lead to a motorcyclist fatality if the driver can’t stop in time to avoid an accident or loses control of their vehicle.
- Refusing to grant the right of way is aggressive behavior by a driver because they know they are in a larger vehicle. However, this can easily lead to a motorcyclist fatality or injury accident.
Filing a Wrongful Death Claim
When a loved one dies unexpectedly, it throws the family into deep grief, confusion, and shock. When a negligent driver was the cause, the family members feel anger in addition. The last thing on their minds is filing a claim to recover damages. However, if the loved one who died contributed to the upkeep of the family, they quickly realize that financial distress may be added to their grief.
By filing a wrongful death lawsuit, the immediate members of the family (spouse, putative spouse, children and possibly others) can recover financial damages. By doing so, it can not only ease the financial pressure they are under but can give them a sense of justice for their loss. In a wrongful death lawsuit, the following may be recoverable:
- The cost of the funeral service and burial can be recovered.
- Wages the deceased would have earned until the age of retirement is recoverable. This includes insurance, pension benefits and bonuses earned on the job.
- The spouse or putative spouse may recover damages for the loss of consortium, affection and moral support provided by the decedent.
- The family’s children can recover damages for the loss of moral support, guidance and love provided by the decedent.
- Loss of inheritance is recoverable.
- Loss of household services can be recovered, which includes tasks the decedent performed around the home and for the family.
Sacramento Wrongful Death Lawyer
I’m Ed Smith, a Sacramento wrongful death lawyer. A family may join together to file a wrongful death lawsuit if they lose a loved one due to a negligent driver or other entity. For our compassionate, free and friendly advice, phone us at (916) 921-6400 or (800) 404-5400. An online message form is available also.
In addition to helping grieving families file wrongful death lawsuits since 1982, my legal team and I have also helped many people recover compensation for all types of traffic collisions and in other cases.
We are honored to be members of:
Additional information about our law firm and how we’ve assisted others can be found at the following links:
:cd llo