Sacramento Midtown Collision
A multi-car collision occurred in the early evening hours of December 14, 2018, in Midtown along State Route 99 northbound and the Broadway off-ramp that involved five to six vehicles and resulted in injuries. At least one party was transported to UC Davis Medical Center for further treatment and evaluation. The identity and condition of that individual are unknown at the time of this report. According to the California Highway Patrol (CHP), all the lanes of SR 99 were blocked by the collision, which left a wide debris field that had to be removed before traffic could pass.
Details of the Sacramento Midtown Collision
The accident happened shortly before 6:30 in the evening and involved a Jeep Patriot, Chevy Malibu, and other unnamed vehicles. A tow truck was required to remove at least one of those vehicles. The lanes remained closed for about half an hour when the accident was cleared for motorists driving northbound to use several of the lanes. An investigation into the cause of the Sacramento midtown collision is being conducted by the CHP to determine why it happened and where the fault lies. It is unknown at this time whether alcohol or drugs were a factor in the crash.
Reasons for Collisions
Collisions on or near exit or entrance ramps represent a higher number of accidents than other roadways as drivers jostle to change lanes and drive too fast for safety. According to a study performed by the National Institutes of Health, 95 percent of the crashes on ramps involved rear-end collisions, sideswipes, and run-off-road accidents. Speeding represented a major reason for these types of accidents. However, avoiding a Sacramento midtown collision can be accomplished by the following practices:
- Avoid speeding. When approaching an exit ramp, slowing to allow for the curve and merging traffic can help avoid an accident.
- Know where the exit is. On unfamiliar roadways, some drivers attempt to change lanes at the last second to take an exit. This dangerous practice can lead to an accident, especially if other vehicles are moving at highway speeds. It can also result in a reckless driving charge.
- Some exit ramps narrow down as they progress. Being unaware or not merging properly can result in a Sacramento midtown collision.
- Slow when preparing to stop on an unfamiliar ramp since traffic lights may be present, and having to slam on the brakes can cause a rear-end crash.
- Watch for slowed traffic ahead. Some drivers slow too much when exiting, which is a danger in itself to other motorists.
- Read the road signs. Notices of lowered speeds and other warnings when nearing an exit ramp are there to keep motorists safe.
Seeking Legal Advice After an Exit Ramp Accident
An attorney experienced in exit ramp accidents can be of invaluable help following a collision caused by negligence. By investigating how the accident happened using available evidence, witness accounts, accident reconstruction, and expert witness, a strong case can be built for fair compensation. This is especially important in accidents that involve multiple vehicles since California is a comparative fault state.
Sacramento Car Accident Lawyers
I’m Ed Smith, a Sacramento car accident lawyer. To obtain fair compensation for your accident injury, it’s better not to try and go it alone. Please call me at (916) 921-6400 for free and friendly advice if you or a loved one has suffered an accident injury caused by negligence. I can also be reached at (800) 404-5400 or through my online contact form at AutoAccident.com.
One of the groups that I’m a part of, Million Dollar Advocates, is open only to those trial attorneys who have won a verdict and settlement in excess of $1 million for a client.
When people have suffered an injury and want to speak to a lawyer about how they can recover compensation to pay their medical bills and other expenses, it can be difficult to decide who to call. Having information about the law firm can help. To look over some of the cases, we have handled as well as read through what clients have had to say, go to:
Over my 36 year career as an injury lawyer, I have been honored to have helped many Sacramento residents and Northern Californians in obtaining fair compensation for all types of car accidents, wrongful deaths, and traumatic brain injuries.
Photo Attribution: Depositphotos_11765047_l-2015
:cd cha [cs 750] cv