Collision on Eastbound I-80 Causes Major Injury
A major injury accident involving a big rig occurred in Sacramento on January 14 on the freeway. The collision happened along eastbound I-80 at the Norwood Avenue off-ramp around 9:18 a.m. It involved a big rig and sedan, according to the incident report by the California Highway Patrol (CHP).
One Person Hospitalized in Major Injury Accident
When officers arrived, they found both vehicles over to the side, so traffic was not impeded. A major injury was reported in one individual, and they were transported to a hospital. An investigation is being conducted by the CHP to determine the cause of the collision.
Big Rig Accidents and Why They Occur
There are a variety of factors that can lead to big rig drivers causing a major injury accident. Some of the most common causes include:
- Lack of maintenance: Mechanical issues can result in accidents and increase the chances that a driver will cause an injury accident because of worn tires, brakes and other issues with a big rig’s maintenance.
- Fatigued driving: A driver’s ability to make sound decisions on the road can be impaired by fatigue, as they drive for a long period of time without taking breaks, causing exhaustion and drowsiness.
- Adverse weather conditions: It’s not uncommon for truck accidents to occur due to weather conditions such as rain, slick roads and wind. Even 50 mph winds can unbalance a trailer if it is not fully loaded and can lead to a major injury accident.
- Distracted driving: The responsibility of driving a large truck is great, so when a big rig driver becomes distracted by talking on a cell phone, texting or using another device while driving, their attention is diverted from the road, making it difficult for them to react in a timely fashion in an emergency.
- Blind spots: Due to limited visibility from to blind spots, drivers may be unable to see potential dangers ahead when driving large trucks. It may not be possible to avoid a collision even if they are able to spot them.
- Speeding: A big rig driver may be tempted to speed in order to make a delivery on time if he or she feels pressured to do so. In an emergency situation, the driver may lose control if they are not paying attention or underestimate how long they need to stop.
Compensation Recovery After a Major Injury Accident With a Big Rig
A major injury accident may result in the driver being responsible for trauma. Company liability may also arise if a driver is not qualified or maintenance is not performed routinely. With many years of experience handling collisions involving large commercial vehicles, the lawyers at AutoAccident.com can advise you whether you have a basis for a claim to help you recover damages. To make sure that you receive a fair settlement for your injuries, they work hard to ensure you get the compensation you deserve.
Sacramento Truck Accident Lawyer
I’m Ed Smith, and I am a Sacramento truck accident lawyer. In the event of a collision with a big rig, people in passenger cars could suffer serious trauma. For free, friendly advice, call us at (916) 921-6400 when you suffered an injury by a truck driver who was negligent. Our long-distance telephone number is (800) 404-5400, or you can reach us online. If you would like to discuss the details of your case with one of our accident attorneys and figure out what your options are for recovering compensation, you can meet with one of our lawyers in person or virtually at no charge for a free consultation.
Visit the following links to learn how our injury lawyers have helped others:
Our association memberships include the following:
:cd llo