Major Injury Reported in Bicycle Accident on Orange Grove Avenue
A major injury accident was reported in Sacramento on June 30 following a traffic collision involving a minivan and bicyclist. The crash occurred around 9:40 a.m. along Orange Grove Avenue between River College Drive and Pasadena Avenue. The incident report issued by the California Highway Patrol (CHP) stated that an eastbound lane of Orange Grove Avenue was blocked by the collision.
Accident Being Investigated to Determine Fault
The bicycle rider subsequently was found to have suffered a major injury and was transported to a hospital for treatment. A tow truck removed the vehicles involved. The roadway was cleared by 10:29 a.m. after an investigation into the cause of the crash was conducted.
Recovering Compensation Following a Major Injury Accident
If you have been in an accident, you know that the after-effects are confusing. There are many things that must be done prior to filing a lawsuit. For instance, evidence must be collected to prove the liability of the at-fault driver. Your bicycle accident lawyer will investigate the accident and use the evidence to build a strong case for their client.
What Damages Are Available in a Two-Vehicle Collision
You have the right to be compensated for your losses when you are in an accident caused by another’s negligence. To see what you might recover, look over the following list:
- Medical expenses: You have the right to recover all medical expenses related to the major injury accident. This consists of emergency room costs, physician fees, hospital bills, medications and rehabilitative services.
- Out-of-pocket expenses: Usually, these are related to medical care, but they do not need to be. Examples are the cost of travel to the doctor’s office or for rehabilitation. It can also include the cost of home modification if your injury must be accommodated. Other costs include needed assistive devices such as crutches or wheelchairs.
- Cost of hiring help around the home: If you are unable to do household tasks you normally did and must hire outside help, this is included in your damages and compensation is available.
- Lost wages: The wages you lost due to a major accident injury can be recovered. This not only includes wages but also commissions you may have received and bonuses. If you need to take a lower-paying job because of your injuries, you have the right to recover the difference in income. Your injury lawyer will factor this into the settlement.
- Medical expenses in the future: Your claim will allow coverage of future medical expenses. It is best to make sure you have reached maximal medical improvement before you accept the insurer’s offer.
Bicycle Riders Are Among the Most Vulnerable
Bicyclists are vulnerable in a number of ways. They lack the protection of a steel cage other drivers are accustomed to. The bicyclist also suffers from a lack of recognition on the road. Motorists are not looking for bike riders, and some don’t see them even when they are in plain sight. This is referred to as intentional blindness, and it exists because the onlooker is engaged in another task. On the road, drivers are often too occupied with looking out for other motorists.
This is evident in several types of accidents, such as dooring and right-hand turns. Dooring occurs when the driver parks parallel to the traffic flow and opens their door without looking. A bicyclist approaching the vehicle could suffer a major injury accident. Right-hand turns are another problem when the driver fails to look to their right before turning. A cyclist coming up on their right-hand side could be injured.
Personal Injury Attorneys in Sacramento
I am Ed Smith, and I am a Sacramento personal injury attorney. Bicycle accident injuries are often serious, requiring hospitalization and a long recuperative period. If a negligent driver caused your trauma, you may be able to recover compensation to cover your losses. You can reach us at (916) 921-6400 for free and friendly advice from one of our injury lawyers. We can also be contacted either at (800) 404-5400 or by sending us an online message.
Belonging to the groups that follow is an honor because it reflects the work of our injury lawyers:
To look over reviews by former clients and see some of the cases we have handled, check out the following links:
:cd llo