Pickup Experiences Rollover Near Orchard Lane
A fatal collision was reported along Garden Highway in Sacramento on the evening of April 30 involving a solo vehicle. The accident occurred at about 9:14 p.m. near Orchard Lane in the Willow Creek area when a pickup experienced a rollover, ending up on its roof. One person died at the accident scene, while another was reported as seriously injured, according to the incident report by the Sacramento Police Department. No additional information has been provided.
Causes of a Single-Vehicle Fatal Collision
Family members are often confused and lack a sense of closure when they find out a loved one died in a fatal collision, and no one knows why. Most of the time, it occurs because the driver was negligent in one way or another. Perhaps they had been texting at the time the accident happened. In other cases, maybe the driver was speeding, had been drinking, or was simply too tired to be behind the wheel of a car. An injury lawyer can determine whether negligence by the driver was the cause.
However, there are ways a fatal collision can occur that the driver has no control over. When this happens, the family may want to consider placing a wrongful death claim to recover damages. Some of the ways an outside influence can lead to a fatal collision are:
- Problems with the roadway can end up causing a fatal collision. Poor lighting, misplaced road signs, dimly marked lanes and other problems can end up causing a single-vehicle accident. Our investigators can determine whether government negligence contributed to the crash. If so, the government entity charged with maintenance may be held responsible. Because the time limit to file a claim against a government entity is only six months, having the help of an injury lawyer to ensure the paperwork is completed correctly and timelines met may be advisable.
- An auto part defect can end up causing a fatal collision. When a driver steps on the brake and it suddenly fails, the steering wheel locks for no reason or the accelerator pedal sticks, you can easily end up being involved in a serious accident, causing injuries and fatalities. Retaining the vehicle following an injury or fatal collision is necessary, so it can be examined for defects. If a defect is found that caused the accident, the manufacturer can be held liable by filing an auto product liability claim.
Recovering Compensation in a Fatal Collision
Families of a loved one who died in an accident are deep in grief, confused and upset, so it doesn’t occur to them right away that they may be able to recover compensation by filing a wrongful death claim. Certainly, it doesn’t ease their pain, but it can help them know the guilty party is being held responsible and can give them a sense of closure and justice. By filing a claim, the family can recover:
- Funeral and burial costs
- Wages the deceased would have earned up until the time of retirement
- The surviving spouse can recover compensation for the loss of consortium, love and affection the death caused
- Children in the family can recover damages for the loss of nurturing and guidance they will no longer have from their parent
- Loss of inheritance may be claimed in some cases
- Loss of household services includes things the loved one did around the house, such as taking care of the children, mowing the lawn, and others because someone will now have to be paid to perform those duties
Sacramento Wrongful Death Lawyer
My name is Ed Smith. I am a Sacramento wrongful death attorney. When you’ve lost a loved one because a driver was negligent, your family may be able to file a wrongful death claim. Contact us at (916) 921-6400 or at (800) 404-5400 for our free and friendly advice. We can also be contacted online.
We are pleased to be members of the groups that follow, which shows how hard we work for our clients:
Explore how others have been helped by our injury lawyer team at the links that follow:
:cd llo