Interstate 5 Accident Involves Three Vehicles in the Fast Lane
A traffic collision involving multiple vehicles happened on October 15 along the West Side Freeway in Sacramento that resulted in a minor injury. The crash happened around 6:37 in the morning on the northbound side of I-5 just south of the P Street on-ramp. The California Highway Patrol (CHP) reported that it involved two Honda Civics and another vehicle.
Early Commuter Traffic Disrupted by Traffic Accident
The accident blocked the fast lane, disrupting traffic for early commuters. Although the airbags were deployed in all three vehicles, a minor injury still occurred. Information was not provided on whether that individual was treated at the accident scene or taken to a hospital. An investigation by the CHP is underway to determine fault in the traffic collision and determine how it occurred.
Causes of a Traffic Collision in the Fast Lane
- Cutting in and out of traffic: Some drivers enter the fast lane and quickly switch back and forth from the middle lane. This is improper use of the fast lane and can end up causing a case of road rage or a traffic collision as other motorists end up being cut off.
- Slow drivers: Slower drivers are supposed to stay in the right-hand lanes to avoid impeding faster traffic. However, if a slow driver goes into the fast lane, other vehicles following behind can end up causing a pileup.
- Speeding drivers can cause a traffic collision. Some drivers take the words “fast lane” to the extreme and go well above the speed limit. This increases the risk of a serious traffic collision. Since vehicles are moving at a faster pace, more severe injuries and a higher risk of fatalities can be involved.
- Distracted driving is a factor in all types of accidents. A motorist who is texting, talking on a cell phone, checking their GPS, or performing another activity isn’t concentrating on the surrounding traffic.
- Drunk drivers who enter the fast lane are incapable of judging their distance from other vehicles and speed up and slow down, endangering other motorists, which can cause a traffic collision. In addition, a drunk driver is a frequent cause of entering a highway going in the wrong direction, and that can cause a head-on crash.
How an Attorney Can Help
When someone has been injured in a traffic collision that involves multiple vehicles, getting the advice of an injury lawyer can be helpful. Negligence can occur in more than one motorist, such as tailgating, speeding and others, so determining what caused the collision and who was at fault allows the injured party to obtain the compensation they deserve. During an investigation into an accident:
- Our investigators review the police report and interview any witnesses.
- Traffic surveillance cameras in the area are checked to see if the traffic crash was captured on tape. If it was, those records can be subpoenaed.
- Accident reconstruction is performed, which shows the positions of the vehicles before the collision, as it happened, and afterward. This type of evidence is accepted both in court and by insurance companies.
Sacramento Car Accident Lawyer
I’m Ed Smith, a Sacramento car accident lawyer. If the injuries you suffered in an accident were caused by a negligent motorist, we offer free and friendly advice on whether you can place a claim for compensation. You are welcome to phone us at (916) 921-6400 or (800) 404-5400. We can also be reached online if you find that more convenient. We can schedule a free, no-obligation consultation in the office or virtually where your case will be reviewed, your questions answered, and options for obtaining compensation will be detailed.
Since 1982, the legal team at AutoAccident.com has helped Sacramento residents and other Northern Californians in obtaining fair compensation for all varieties of traffic accidents, government and product liability claims, wrongful deaths, and other cases.
It is an honor for us to belong to the groups that follow, in addition to others:
Helpful information about how we’ve assisted others in obtaining compensation can be found at the links that follow:
:cd llo