Deadly Highway Crash Occurs Near Garden Highway Off-Ramp
A deadly highway crash on Interstate 5 ended one life in a three-car accident on September 4. The collision occurred along I-5 southbound close to the off-ramp for Garden Highway shortly after 3:00 a.m., as reported by the California Highway Patrol (CHP). One of the vehicles involved in the collision was apparently a U-Haul.
Cause of Deadly Highway Crash Being Determined
Debris was spread across the highway due to the crash, and traffic was affected. The cause of the collision is still under investigation by the CHP traffic accident unit to determine fault. Officials have recently identified the deceased as 53-year-old Sacramento resident Linda Marie Hufnagel.
Reasons Why Accidents Happen Near an Off-Ramp
Various factors result in highway traffic accidents near an off-ramp:
- Distracted driving: Drivers on the highway may be looking to change lanes and not focusing on traffic. Signage for the off-ramp may be misleading, and drivers may not be paying attention.
- Inclement weather: Poor weather conditions may make it harder to handle exiting maneuvers. Hydroplaning vehicles are a significant safety threat.
- Debris on the road: As always, excess road debris may make it difficult to drive safely.
- Speeding: Going too fast can make it hard to stop in time to avoid an accident. Drivers may go too fast to control their vehicle when another motorist enters the off-ramp too soon.
- Vehicle breakdown near the off-ramp: When vehicles block the entrance to an off-ramp, drivers may be taking risky maneuvers to get around. It also increases the risk of a deadly highway crash.
Wrongful Death Compensation After a Fatal Highway Crash
The grief a family shares after a loved one’s death caused by a deadly highway crash is augmented by the financial hardship they experience. There is a way to offset the monetary difficulties the family faces. Family members can file a wrongful death lawsuit against the at-fault driver or other negligent party.
In the event of a fatal highway accident, the following compensation may be available:
- Funeral and burial expenses may be covered.
- Medical costs before the decedent’s demise can be recouped in the form of a survival action.
- The wages the deceased would have earned up until retirement are also recoverable.
- If the decedent did jobs around the house, such as taxes, child care or mowing the lawn, making it necessary to hire someone, the cost can be recouped.
- The loss of inheritance can be included in the lawsuit.
- If a spouse loses the love, support and intimacy they had with the decedent, a loss of consortium claim can be included.
Ed Smith shares these helpful tips for choosing an attorney for your injury case:
Sacramento Personal Injury Attorney
I’m Ed Smith. I’m a Sacramento personal injury attorney. A wrongful death claim may be available to your family if your loved one died as a result of a motorist’s negligence. For free and friendly advice about your collision, please call (916) 921-6400 for a virtual or in-person consultation with one of our accident attorneys. Whether you have questions about your case or would like to recover compensation, we can assist you. If you have any questions, you can contact us by phone at (800) 404-5400 or by sending an online message.
Visit the following links to learn how our injury lawyers have helped others:
This shows how hard we work to ensure our clients receive maximum compensation, and we feel honored to be a part of these groups:
:cd llo [cs 619] ds