Fatality Occurs in Crash Involving Multiple Vehicles on Highway 99
A crash involving multiple vehicles occurred in Sacramento on August 10 in the evening hours, resulting in a motorcyclist’s death. The crash happened at about 10:25 in the evening along Highway 99 northbound, near 12th Avenue. According to the California Highway Patrol (CHP), five vehicles became involved in the collision.
Motorcyclist Dies at Site of Crash Involving Multiple Vehicles
Unfortunately, the motorcycle rider was ejected from his bike in the crash and subsequently hit by other vehicles. He died at the accident scene. The rider was identified as an Orangevale resident, Alexander James Verhoeven, age 27.
Determination Being Made by Authorities on Cause of Fatal Accident
Neither alcohol nor drugs are considered factors in the cause of the crash involving multiple vehicles. The CHP traffic accident unit is handling the investigation to determine how it happened and to assign fault.
Causes of Motorcycle Accidents
- The motorist does not see the motorcyclist even when they are in plain sight. This happens primarily because the driver is not looking for a motorcycle. This type of negligence puts the blame squarely on the motorist.
- Poor road conditions are another reason for a motorcycle accident. This can be due to excessive potholes that were not repaired. This failure can be used to file a claim against the government agency, city or state. You must file this type of claim sooner than other personal injury lawsuits. Your motorcycle accident lawyer will provide information about the deadline and help make sure all paperwork is filed on time.
- Impaired driving is a constant risk on the road and many motorcycle accidents occur because of this.
- Dooring accidents are so-called because the occupant of a motor vehicle parked along the roadway opens their door just as a motorcycle approaches. The motorcyclist has nowhere to go since moving into another lane may cause an accident.
- Motorcycle defects can cause a lack of power or tire blowouts. When this occurs, your lawyer will be able to file a claim against the manufacturer called a product liability lawsuit.
- Intersection accidents are common and many motorists do not give the motorcyclist the right of way.
Wrongful Death in a Motorcycle Accident
Unfortunately, many motorcyclists are killed yearly in a crash involving multiple vehicles, especially on highways with heavy traffic. A bereaved family can seek justice and closure by filing a wrongful death lawsuit. Of course, their grief will not be alleviated, but the financial loss they face will be lessened. A wrongful death lawsuit filed by the family members can cover:
- Funeral and burial expenses are recoverable.
- Medical expenses before the person passes can be recovered. This is often done through a survival action.
- The monetary support the deceased would have provided is recoverable. This may be the wages the decedent would have made until retirement.
- The household services the deceased would have provided are recoverable.
- The loss of spousal support and love can be recovered.
- Punitive damages to punish the at-fault party are awarded in egregious cases.
Injury lawyer Ed Smith explains the damages that may be recovered in a wrongful death claim in the video below:
Wrongful Death Lawyer in Sacramento
I’m Ed Smith. I’m a wrongful death lawyer in Sacramento. Wrongful death claims are available to families of people who died as a result of the negligence of a motorist. For a free, friendly consultation with one of our accident attorneys, please call (916) 921-6400. In addition to answering your questions, examining your case, and telling you how to receive compensation, we can also help with your claim. You can contact us online or over the phone at (800) 404-5400.
By clicking on the following links, you can see some of our injury lawyers’ cases and client comments:
By being included in these groups, we demonstrate our commitment to working hard to recover fair compensation for our clients:
:cd llo