Rush Hour Traffic Takes Its Toll on Driver Safety
I’m Ed Smith, a Sacramento car accident and personal injury lawyer. A recent collision in North Sacramento occurred along southbound Interstate 5 and Garden Highway at exit 521. Two vehicles were involved, and the crash caused the injury of one person. Lanes were blocked awhile until the vehicles were moved to the right-hand side.
The accident occurred shortly after 7:00 a.m. during rush hour traffic when a red Nissan and white BMW collided. It was reported by the California Highway Patrol (CHP) that a third vehicle, an Audi, may have also been involved in the crash. Although an injury was reported, no further information was released on the extent of the trauma. Emergency medical services were called to the scene to attend to the injured person.
When Do Most Accidents Happen?
According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, many accidents happen during evening rush hour. This makes sense because there are more vehicles on the road, and drivers are already tired from a long day at work. The NHTSA reports that a minimum of 16 percent of all vehicle accidents occur from 3:00 p.m. to 6:00 p.m. Auto insurance companies point out that the fewest crashes happen between 1:00 and 2:00 p.m.
Ways to Avoid Rush Hour Accidents
There are a few ways to avoid rush hour crashes. These include:
- Be extra careful when there is increased roadway traffic.
- Be calm. Anger or frustration leads to accidents since you might be acting with a lesser degree of prudence.
- Choose to carpool. Having company during a long ride home can help you relax.
- Enjoy listening to music you like while taking to the highway.
- Avoid the temptation to call or text. This is a surefire way to get into an accident.
When Are Rush Hour Accidents Most Likely to Happen?
Mondays start off rather slowly and the number of accidents during rush hour increases daily through the rest of the week until the weekend. However, there are other elements during rush hour traffic that can increase the likelihood of an accident. These include:
- All crashes are at their height from 4:00 p.m. to 6:00 p.m. on weekdays.
- Crashes are at their highest point in November and December as people are not only commuting but traveling and shopping during the holidays.
- Esurance reports that while traveling on an interstate may be dangerous during hours of heavy traffic, taking a lesser road might be a worse mistake. The NHTSA reported that almost 3,000 more traffic fatalities happened along rural roads than in urban areas in 2013. Fatalities that occur because of a negligent driver can result in a wrongful death.
- Vehicles slamming on their brakes suddenly most often happens on Tuesdays and can cause tailgating accidents.
- On Thursdays, vehicles are more likely to accelerate suddenly.
Accidents During Rush Hour
Rush hour crashes can result in severe injuries and may involve multiple vehicles. When this happens, you need an experienced car accident lawyer to help you obtain the compensation you want and deserve. With an injury lawyer’s assistance, you may be entitled to recover your expenses for medical costs, lost time at work and the pain and suffering you experienced as a result of your crash.
Sacramento Car Accident and Personal Injury Lawyer
I’m Ed Smith, a Sacramento car accident and personal injury lawyer. Rush hour accidents can be confusing and dangerous, resulting in injuries to yourself and your loved ones. If this happened to you, give me a call for free, compassionate and friendly advice. I can be reached at (916) 921-6400, or if you prefer, call my toll-free line at (800) 404-5400.
Having good information about a law firm makes it easier to decide who to go with. You can look over some of our prior cases and client reviews as well as resolutions of other cases at:
I’m honored to belong to the Million Dollar Forum. This group is composed of trial lawyers with case settlements and verdicts in excess of 1 million for a past client.
Photo Attribution: https://pixabay.com/en/traffic-jam-traffic-highway-freeway-1703575/
:cd bw [cs 747] cv