Roseville Motor Vehicle Accident
Roseville Motor Vehicle Accident. A Roseville motor vehicle accident can result in significant injuries and leave the injured person with mounting medical bills and other costs while being unable to work. However, if the collision was caused by a negligent driver or government entity, those expenses can be recovered with the help of a seasoned personal injury lawyer. There are things you can do immediately after an auto accident that will help the attorney build a strong case and protect your rights.
What to Do After a Roseville Motor Vehicle Accident
When property damage or injuries occur because of a Roseville motor vehicle accident, the driver should take the following steps right away:
- While it may be necessary to move the vehicle out of the way to protect it from being hit by oncoming traffic, do stay at the scene of the collision. Leaving can result in charges of hit and run under California Vehicle Code 20001.
- Turn on your flashers to let other motorists know that the vehicle is disabled. Hanging a white cloth from your front window is another way to do this.
- Contact the police. Police file a report that indicates who was involved in the accident, what happened and what kind of damage and injuries were involved. If the other driver was intoxicated or was cited for other infringements of traffic rules, this will become part of the police report and will be useful in your case. It is a good idea to write down the name of the officer who responds and his or her badge number. Make sure to ask for a copy of the police report.
- Check for injuries in your vehicle and others. If anyone has serious injuries, call 911 for medical assistance. Make sure to give emergency responders the location of the accident as precisely as possible. If necessary, use mile markers or other landmarks to determine where you are.
- Exchange information: You should exchange information with the driver of the other vehicle/vehicles that includes, name, phone number, address and insurance data. Also note the make, model and license tags of all vehicles involved. Be polite but don’t engage in a lengthy conversation or say anything that might be misconstrued as guilt. This can be used by insurers and attorneys for the negligent party later on to their benefit.
- Talk to witnesses: Witnesses to an accident are important in substantiating your claim. Ask them what they saw, and collect their contact information. This will be important to your attorney when gathering evidence to support your case.
- Call your insurance company: Notify your insurance agent as soon as possible. Just provide basic information such as where the accident happened and how many vehicles were involved. If you are asked questions you don’t feel are within your province to answer, say so. In some cases, you may be told your statement will be recorded. You are not obligated to approve that. You might say you’ll call back or that your attorney will be calling. Insurance companies like to keep their payouts as small as possible, so it is a good idea to contact an experienced injury lawyer to handle it in order to avoid a rejected claim.
- Take photos at the scene: This is one of the most important things you can do. Use your cell phone to take pictures of the damage to all vehicles and their final position after the accident. Also, obtain pictures of any marks left on the road. For instance, skid marks are used to determine the speed at which the other vehicle was traveling. If the skid mark is long, this can be used to show that the vehicle was moving at a high speed, and the driver needed to apply the brakes long and hard to stop. Alternately, an absence of skid marks indicates that the brakes were not applied. This can be used to show that the driver was either asleep or impaired when the accident happened.
Seeking Medical Care After a Roseville Motor Vehicle Accident
Seeking medical care after an accident is important since, due to the rush of adrenaline a car accident causes that can numb pain, you might not think you were injured. In addition, some injuries do not produce symptoms for several days such as whiplash and can be misleading. Prompt diagnosis and treatment are essential for recovery, so see your physician or go to an urgent care facility or emergency room as soon as possible.
Keep Precise Records
Make sure to keep records of all treatment you have received, prescriptions you’ve filled and any other costs you have encountered, transportation to and from doctor visits or rehabilitation therapy sessions. This makes it easier to calculate the cost of medical expenses later on.
Follow Doctor’s Orders
Make sure to follow your doctor’s orders after a Roseville motor vehicle accident. If you don’t, it could be construed that you were noncompliant. Worse yet, it might be used to show that you were not really hurt. Your compliance with a professional treatment plan will help you get well and demonstrate the severity of your injuries.
What an Attorney Can Do for You
An automobile collision requires investigation of the crash, gathering together and preserving evidence, negotiation and working to achieve a fair settlement. An attorney can protect your rights and help assure that you receive the compensation you deserve while giving you the time you need to heal.
Roseville Car Accident Lawyer
I’m Ed Smith, a Roseville car accident lawyer. When you’ve been involved in a car accident, you need the insight a seasoned injury lawyer can provide. Call me at (916) 921-6400 or (800) 404-5400 for free and friendly advice. You can also reach me online by using my convenient contact us page.
I’ve helped many individuals in Roseville and Northern California to obtain fair compensation for brain injuries, all types of car accidents and in wrongful death claims since I began practicing in 1982.
The Million Dollar Advocates is a forum of trial attorneys who have won more than one million dollars for a client. I am pleased to say I am a member.
If you are going to hire an attorney, look at their practice beforehand. You can read comments by former clients and my peers as well as see how I resolved other cases on the following pages:
Photo Attribution: Depositphotos_32086143_l-2015 (1) (2) (1)
:cd [cs 1080] cv