Pedestrian Fatality Accident Reported on Park Drive
A pedestrian fatality occurred in Rocklin on May 18 when a vehicle struck a male. Witnesses of the fatal accident reported that the pedestrian attempted to get ducks out of the roadway when the crash occurred. The accident happened near the Park Drive intersection with Stanford Ranch Road at about 9:00 p.m., according to a spokesperson for the Rocklin Police Department.
Motorist Remains at Scene of Pedestrian Fatality Accident
The female vehicle driver that struck the pedestrian remained at the accident scene. She cooperated with the accident investigation. The roadway remained shut down for several hours as the investigation was conducted.
Officials have recently identified the decedent as 41-year-old Casey Rivara. A GoFundMe page has been created for the Rivara family to assist with final resting costs.
The Benefits of Filing a Wrongful Death Lawsuit
Families may file a wrongful death claim when a loved one dies due to negligence or intentional acts of another as a pedestrian fatality. Although it won’t ease their grief, it could help them avoid financial distress. It may also give the family a sense of closure and justice for their loss by filing a wrongful death claim.
Recoverable Damages and Who Can File a Wrongful Death Claim
Spouses and children who received at least half their support because of the pedestrian fatality accident may file a lawsuit for wrongful death. Alternatively, the estate representative may file the lawsuit, but only one can be filed. Damages that may be recovered include:
- Costs related to funerals and burials can be recouped.
- It is possible to recover the earnings the decedent would have earned during their working years until retirement. Employees often receive benefits such as insurance, pension, bonuses and other perks while working, which can also be recovered.
- The beneficiaries of an estate may be compensated for the loss of inheritance they would have received if their loved one had lived.
- Spouses can seek compensation for consortium losses, comfort, affection and emotional support.
- Due to the decedent’s death, the family’s children can recover losses incurred because of the future lack of the deceased’s care, training, nurturing and guidance.
- The family can be compensated for losing household services such as lawn care and vehicle maintenance.
- Medical expenses that arose before a loved one died can be recovered by bringing a survival action.
- Depending on the circumstances of the death, the family may be able to seek punitive damages in civil court. The purpose of punitive damages is to punish the offender and discourage similar behavior in the future if the death was especially egregious or on purpose.
According to Ed Smith, a personal injury lawyer, an attorney should possess the following qualities:
Rocklin Wrongful Death Lawyer
I am Ed Smith, and I’m a Rocklin wrongful death lawyer. The loss of a loved one is devastating for the entire family, but it is even harder when the death was caused by an accident involving a pedestrian. Our accident attorneys can provide you with free, friendly advice if your family is interested in filing a wrongful death lawsuit. Our phone number is (916) 921-6400. You can also reach us by calling (800) 404-5400 or sending an online message.
Here are some examples of how our injury lawyers have helped other clients receive compensation. You are also welcome to look over a few of the cases we have handled in the past:
As a result of our dedication to getting fair compensation for our clients, we are honored to belong to the following groups:
Photo attribution: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DLQ8I1W1gR8&t=10s; Image by Myriams-Fotos from Pixabay
:cd llo  ds