Loss Recovery Following an Uber or Lyft Collision Injury
If you are involved in an accident while riding as a passenger in an Uber or Lyft vehicle in California, there are several steps you can take to recover your losses. Here’s what you need to know about insurance policies that may affect your claim:
- Report the accident: If you are involved in an accident while riding as an Uber or Lyft passenger, it is important to report the collision to the ride-sharing company immediately. You should also contact the police to file a report and seek medical attention if necessary.
- Gather evidence: Collect information about the rideshare accident, including the names and contact information of any witnesses, photos of the scene and damage, and the driver’s and ride-sharing company’s insurance information.
- File a claim: Uber and Lyft both carry insurance coverage for their drivers and passengers, but the specific coverage can vary depending on the circumstances of the accident. You may be able to file a claim with the driver’s personal policy, the ride-sharing company’s insurance, or a combination of both.
- Seek legal help: If you are unable to recover your losses through insurance, you may be able to file a personal injury lawsuit against the driver or the ride-sharing company. An experienced injury lawyer can help you navigate the legal process and ensure that you receive the compensation you deserve.
Filing a Claim Within the Statute of Limitations
It is important to note that in California, there is a statute of limitations for personal injury claims, which means that you only have a two-year period in which to file. If the statute of limitations expires, you may lose the right to pursue a claim.
If you have been involved in an Uber or Lyft accident in California, it is important to seek the help of an experienced personal injury attorney who can guide you through the process and help you recover your losses.
Is an Uber Accident Handled Through the Driver’s Insurance or the Company?
The handling of an Uber or Lyft injury accident can vary depending on the specific circumstances of the collision and the insurance coverage in place. In general, there are three stages of rideshare coverage that determine who is responsible for covering the costs of an accident:
- Personal insurance: Before the rideshare driver accepts a passenger, their personal insurance coverage is in effect. If an accident occurs during this stage, the driver’s personal insurance would typically be responsible for covering any damages.
- Per-trip coverage: Once the rideshare driver accepts a passenger, the company’s per-trip insurance coverage kicks in. This type of coverage provides liability insurance to protect passengers in the event of an accident.
- Personal Injury Protection (PIP) coverage: Some rideshare companies also offer Personal Injury Protection (PIP) coverage, which provides additional insurance for medical expenses and lost wages for passengers involved in an accident.
Contacting a Personal Injury Lawyer for Advice
In the event of a rideshare accident, it is important to gather evidence and contact the police to file a report. You may also want to consult with an experienced personal injury attorney to understand your rights and options for recovering your losses. An attorney can help you navigate the insurance claims process and ensure that you receive the compensation you deserve.
California Car Accident Lawyer
I am Ed Smith. I’m a California car accident lawyer. If you suffer an injury because of a rideshare, you might be able to recover compensation. Contact our injury lawyers at (916) 921-6400 for free and friendly advice. You can also reach us at (800) 404-5400 or by sending us an online message.
The following links illustrate how our legal team has assisted others:
Photo attribution: Photo by freestocks.org: https://www.pexels.com/photo/person-holding-smartphone-34239/
:cd llo  bw