Accident at I-5 Off-Ramp Results in Minor Injuries
A reckless driver may have been the cause of an injury accident near a highway off-ramp on September 22. The accident allegedly involved a Kia Optima and a Mercedes in addition to another black vehicle. The California Highway Patrol (CHP) incident report stated that it occurred on southbound I-5 at the J Street off-ramp around 2:51 p.m.
I-5 Accident May Have Been Caused by a Reckless Driver
The Kia and Mercedes ended up blocking the fast lane, and the third vehicle went through a fence along the right-hand side of the highway. One individual involved in the collision reported to police that the Mercedes swerved into his lane, which caused the accident. Sacramento Fire Department medics determined that injuries in the accident were minor. The CHP is investigating to determine how the accident happened and if it involved reckless driving and to assign which driver/drivers were at fault.
Reckless Driving in California
There are a number of different actions that are considered reckless driving in California. All of them exhibit a lack of regard for other motorists and can potentially cause an accident. Accidents caused by reckless drivers are common around Sacramento as elsewhere.
When a reckless driver causes injuries to another person, that party may be able to file a claim for compensation. Compensation that can be recovered includes all the medical expenses associated with the collision, lost wages, and reimbursement for the injured party’s pain and suffering.
Actions Performed by the Reckless Driver
Some of the actions that constitute reckless driving in California include:
- Speeding: Speeding not only means someone going above the limit but a driver who is motoring too fast for weather conditions. So a driver who is doing 50 mph on slippery pavement when it’s only safe to do 40 mph can be cited by police as a reckless driver.
- Tailgating: Motorists know that it’s dangerous to follow another vehicle too closely because if the driver suddenly stops or slows down, a collision can occur. Tailgating is another potential accident caused by a reckless driver that can cause serious injuries.
- Swerving and weaving in traffic: The unpredictability of this type of reckless driver makes other motorists worried because they realize this is dangerous behavior. A driver who weaves in and out of lanes without using their traffic signals and swerves in front of another motorist often ends up causing an accident.
- Drunk or drugged driving: Any driver who is impaired can exhibit reckless behavior that can lead to a collision. From weaving in and out of the lane to misjudging the distance from other vehicles, a motorist who is impaired can face increased charges and penalties as well as being a reckless driver.
- Running a stop sign or red light: Sometimes, drivers run a red light “by accident” because it changes without warning if the timing is off. However, a driver who speeds up instead of slowing down when approaching an intersection is running the sign or light on purpose. That is a reckless driver who can end up causing a serious collision.
When a reckless driver was the cause of your injuries in an accident, you might be able to file a claim for compensation against their insurance company. Barring successful negotiations with the insurance company, you can file a lawsuit against the driver to recover damages with the help of an injury lawyer. My law office offers a no-obligation, free review to discuss your case and tell you what options are open to obtain damages.
Auto Accident Attorneys in Sacramento
I’m Ed Smith, a car accident attorney in Sacramento. If you are wondering if you can file a claim for compensation against the negligent person or entity that caused your injuries, call us for free and friendly advice at (916) 921-6400. We can also be reached at (800) 404-5400 or by sending us a message online.
We’re proud members of the following groups:
My team of injury lawyers and I have helped people in Northern California to get fair compensation in all varieties of traffic accidents, government and product liability claims, wrongful deaths, and more since 1982.
Discover helpful information about our law firm below:
:cd llo