Parking Lot Accidents
The common image that runs through your head when thinking about a car accident is usually a collision on a busy highway, or maybe a two-lane road. Accidents also can happen in smaller spaces, such as a parking lot. Parking lots are often crowded and hold many potential dangers. There are running children, babies in strollers, numerous vehicles stacked in small slots, cars traveling in different directions, and physical obstacles. Being informed about the risks of parking lots and how you can avoid these collisions will help you in your day-to-day travels.
The Link Between Reckless Driving and Parking Lots
Parking lots aren’t meant for high-speed driving. However, motorists commonly drive fast around these lots. While it would be a smart decision to never drive faster than 5 mph in a parking lot, many do not follow this guideline. Also, drivers commonly underestimate the risks associated with distracted driving while traveling through lots. Many admit to participating in the following activities while driving:
- Watching videos
- Taking pictures
- Grooming themselves
- Phone calls
- Looking at/responding to emails
- Using GPS systems
How to Avoid Parking Lot Accidents
Thankfully, there are numerous safety tips that drivers can follow to decrease their chances of getting into a parking lot car accident. Some of the guidelines to consider include:
- Triple check before backing out – Always check your rearview mirror, your side mirrors, and behind your shoulder before moving in reverse.
- Don’t ignore your turn signals – Remember that they exist for a reason! As a driver, you can’t often verbally communicate your intent to other drivers. Activating your turn signals will indicate your intentions to those around you.
- Keep a low speed – As mentioned earlier, try to maintain a vehicle speed of 5 mph or less when you are searching for a parking spot or trying to exit a lot.
- Parking at a distance – In a busy parking lot, you may be better off by avoiding the crowded portions of the lot and finding a space further in the back. Not only will you worry less about getting in and out of the lot, but you also have a lower chance of someone bumping into your vehicle.
- Adhere to parking lot signs – Obey every no-parking sign, stop sign, and other traffic signs.
Watch YouTube Video: Rear Crash Prevention Ratings to Reduce Parking Lot Accidents. This video discusses a program launched by the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety that could help drivers prevent parking lot accidents.
Discover Your Legal Options After a Parking Lot Accident
If you sustained injuries in a parking lot car accident, you must be informed about your legal rights. You might be eligible for compensation for any damages, such as medical bills, time off work, and pain and suffering. An experienced Pittsburg personal injury attorney can speak with you regarding the individual circumstances of your claim over a free consultation. Furthermore, you can learn if your claim is viable and what options are available to you for your best possible recovery.
Pittsburg CA Personal Injury Attorney
I’m Ed Smith, a Pittsburg personal injury lawyer. Accidents tend to happen when you least expect it. If you have been critically injured in a parking lot accident, you might be entitled to compensation for your damages. Call me today at (925) 428-5220 or (800) 404-5400 to receive my free, professional, and friendly legal advice. If you are too busy to make a call right now, consider taking the time to reach out to me through my contact page.
Learn about the case resolutions my firm has achieved in the past by reviewing our page dedicated to verdicts and settlements.
I hold a membership with the following affiliations:
Client comments and ratings can be seen on:
:jf cha [cs 647]