Fatality Reported in Eastbound U.S. 50 Accident
A fatal crash involving two vehicles occurred in El Dorado County on March 2. The accident happened in Pollock Pines east of Placerville around 3:18 p.m. on eastbound U.S. 50 just west of Peavine Ridge Road. The vehicles, one a Kia Sportage and the other a Ford Expedition, sustained damage all the way around.
Vehicles Towed as Evidence in Fatality Crash
Both vehicles were towed from the scene and taken into evidence, according to the California Highway Patrol (CHP) report. The accident blocked the number one lane both east and westbound. The CHP is investigating the cause of the fatality crash to discover how it happened.
Causes of a Highway Fatality Crash Between Two Vehicles
A highway fatality crash involving two vehicles can be caused for many reasons, including vehicle defects, driver error or road hazards. When discussing the causes of a highway fatality accident between two vehicles, it is important to consider the following:
- Driver error: Driver errors such as drunk and distracted driving (including texting and talking on the phone), fatigue, speeding, aggressiveness or recklessness or ignoring traffic signals or signs can all lead to a fatal highway accident between two vehicles.
- Vehicle defects: Vehicle defects may also contribute to a highway fatality accident. Examples of vehicle defects that could cause an accident include malfunctioning brakes, tire failure, steering problems and other mechanical issues. By retaining the vehicle, it can be examined for defects. If a defect led to the accident, an auto product liability claim may be placed against the parts maker, manufacturer and others.
- Road hazards: Road hazards include potholes, debris on the ground, uneven pavement surfaces and construction zones. In addition, lack of appropriate signage, overgrown shrubbery and other problems can lead to a fatality crash. If you suffer an injury or fatality of a loved one due to roadway negligence, you might be able to file a claim holding the government entity financially responsible. The time limit is six months for government claims, so getting help from an injury lawyer may be advisable.
Damages That Can Be Recovered in a Wrongful Death Claim
When a loved one dies in a fatality crash because of the negligent actions of another driver, the family (spouse and children) of the deceased have the right to file a wrongful death claim. It is dependent on the circumstances of the case which types of damages can be recovered in a wrongful death action. It is usually possible to recover these damages in the following ways:
- Benefits and wages that would have been earned by the deceased but for their death are recoverable.
- Funeral and burial expenses can be claimed.
- Loss of household services from the deceased such as gardening, childcare, housework and auto care is recoverable.
- Loss of consortium, companionship, care and protection for the surviving family members can be claimed.
- Mental anguish and emotional distress suffered by the surviving family members due to the death may be recovered.
Pollock Pines Personal Injury Lawyer
I’m Ed Smith, a Pollock Pines personal injury lawyer. A driver who hits your vehicle and causes injuries or a fatality might be liable for compensation. You can reach our accident attorneys at (530) 392-9400 or (800) 404-5400 for free and friendly advice. You also have the option to contact us online.
You can learn more about the ways our injury lawyers have helped others by viewing the examples below:
It is an honor for us to be associated with the following groups:
Photo attribution: Image by Myriams-Fotos from Pixabay
:cd llo