Accident on Fair Oaks Boulevard Causes Major Injuries
A pedestrian injury occurred in Carmichael on February 13 after a vehicle struck the person on foot. The accident happened around 7:08 p.m. along Fair Oaks Boulevard between California Avenue and Wayside Lane. The incident report by the California Highway Patrol (CHP) said the pedestrian suffered major injuries in the collision and was transported to Mercy San Juan Medical Center.
Investigation Underway to Determine Cause of Pedestrian Injury Accident
A tow truck had to be called to remove the sedan that struck the pedestrian. It had sustained major front-end damage. The CHP is conducting an investigation to determine fault in the accident and how it occurred.
Most Common Injuries in a Pedestrian Accident
Pedestrians who are involved in an accident with a motor vehicle often suffer severe trauma. Of course, this is because the human body doesn’t offer any protection when it is impacted by a vehicle. Some of the most common types of injuries that occur include:
- Bone fractures: Pedestrians often fracture their arms, wrists, legs, shoulders and backs in accidents. A broken bone can puncture the skin leading to compound fractures, making it more difficult to treat. The pain associated with these types of injuries can be extremely painful and cause long-lasting problems. It may be necessary to amputate in some cases.
- Traumatic brain injuries: People injured in pedestrian accidents can suffer life-changing head injuries such as concussions and TBIs. It doesn’t even take a blow to the head to cause serious damage. The symptoms of a TBI are varied depending on the person and can include loss of consciousness, nausea and vomiting, headaches, fatigue and drowsiness. Cognitive changes can include difficulty speaking and problems concentrating.
- Damage to soft tissues: Lacerations, contusions, sprains, strains and dislocations can leave the pedestrian with severe pain.
- Spinal cord trauma: When a pedestrian is struck by a motor vehicle or tossed into the air, a serious spinal cord injury can occur. It is common for such injuries to permanently alter one’s life and require long-term care for the patient.
How Do Most Pedestrian Injury Accidents Occur?
Pedestrian accidents are primarily caused in urban traffic and after dark. The more common scenarios where a pedestrian injury occurs are:
- Crosswalks: Even though crosswalks are supposed to provide safe passage across a street for pedestrians, the accident injury and fatality count at these designated spots is almost as high as unmarked intersections. Most collisions occur because the driver is texting, ran a red light or committed another traffic infraction.
- Parking lots: Some drivers fail to make sure the space is clear before pulling into or backing out of a parking lot and end up hitting a pedestrian.
- Red-light runners: Drivers who run a red light or stop sign are often the cause of a pedestrian accident at an intersection.
- Speeders: A speeding driver cannot stop quickly enough to avoid a pedestrian injury accident. The speed of a vehicle is directly related to the risk of death for a pedestrian. The faster the speed of the vehicle, the higher the mortality rate.
When you’ve been injured in a pedestrian accident, the injury lawyers and staff at AutoAccident.com are here for you. No one should bear the financial burden of an accident injury caused by someone else. We can investigate your case, answer your questions and tell you about options to recover compensation.
Please watch the following video presented by attorney Ed Smith on how to choose a personal injury lawyer:
Carmichael Personal Injury Lawyer
I’m Ed Smith, a Carmichael personal injury lawyer. If a negligent driver caused your injuries, we can offer you free and friendly advice on whether you can file a claim to recover compensation. You can reach us at (916) 921-6400 or at (800) 404-5400. An online contact form is available if you prefer to message us.
We are honored to be members of the following:
Explore how our injury lawyer team has helped injured people obtain the compensation they deserve for their accident injuries at the following:
:cd llo