Pedestrian Thrown Onto Hood of Car in Accident
A pedestrian injury occurred in North Highlands on February 23 after a walker was struck by a vehicle on Elkhorn Boulevard. The incident was reported by the California Highway Patrol (CHP) and occurred shortly before 9:00 in the evening at Elkhorn Boulevard’s intersection with Watt Avenue. According to the police report, the pedestrian was thrown onto the hood of a Honda Accord and suffered at least a broken leg. Emergency responders with the Sacramento Fire Department arrived at the scene to offer aid and assess the pedestrian’s injuries. That person was transported to a nearby hospital for further treatment and assessment. Investigators with the CHP are examining the accident to determine how it happened.
Causes of a Pedestrian Injury
Negligent motorists are often the cause of serious injuries or fatalities to pedestrians. Some of the ways in which drivers exhibit negligent actions that injure or kill pedestrians include:
- Speeding is a major cause of all kinds of traffic collisions. A speeder, although they may spot a pedestrian crossing the street, does not always have the time to stop to avoid a collision.
- Distracted driving is rapidly rising as a cause of pedestrian accidents. A driver who is talking on a cell phone or texting may not realize a pedestrian is in front of them until it is too late.
- Running a red light or stop sign is a common way that pedestrians are injured.
- Making an illegal or unsafe turn is another cause of pedestrian accidents. Motorists are guilty of this action, whether they are turning left or right. When a pedestrian injury occurs, they often say they never spotted the walker crossing the street.
- Drowsy driving causes many accidents. A driver who is drowsy can’t focus clearly and isn’t alert enough to see a pedestrian, especially after dark. In some cases, the driver nods off, which is a clear danger to others.
- Government negligence contributes to some pedestrian injury accidents. The entity in charge of maintenance is expected to ensure that traffic lights are properly working, lines clearly painted, and that nothing is obscuring the signs. Overgrown foliage means that a motorist might not see a pedestrian stepping off the curb or the stop sign they are expected to obey.
What A Lawyer Can Do for You in a Pedestrian Injury
A personal injury lawyer with experience in pedestrian accidents can help you when a negligent person or entity caused your injury. Our investigators go right away to the accident site to gather evidence and start by interviewing witnesses and checking for errors in the police report. Accident reconstruction can determine the original positions of the vehicle and walker prior to and throughout the crash. Investigators will determine whether the driver was distracted, speeding, or committing another traffic infraction at the time of the accident.
Surveillance cameras from traffic lights and nearby businesses provide strong evidence against the at-fault party. The government entity in charge of maintaining the streets and traffic lights and signs may be at fault too for a pedestrian injury if bushes obscured the intersection view or the light was faulty. When the evidence has all been gathered, it is given to our lawyers, who go to work building a strong case for our client. Whether negotiating for you with the insurance company or preparing a case for court, our lawyers will do their best to support your claim.
Pedestrian Accident Lawyer in North Highlands
I’m Ed Smith, a pedestrian accident lawyer in North Highlands. If you were injured in a pedestrian accident, I may be able to help you obtain compensation to pay your medical costs and lost wages as well as reimburse you for your pain and suffering. Give me a call at (916) 921-6400 locally for my free and friendly advice. My toll-free number is (800) 404-5400. An online form is also available if you prefer to message me.
Learn what my former clients have said about retaining my law firm to obtain compensation for them and look over cases we have handled at:
I am honored to be a California member of:
I’ve helped residents of North Highlands obtain compensation for their injuries caused by negligence for more than 38 years, including any type of traffic collision, wrongful deaths, and traumas such as brain injuries.
Photo Attribution: https://pixabay.com/photos/emergency-emergency-services-1137137/
:cd llo [cs 740]